Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why choose exmark tt

Why should I buy a 60" Exmark TT walk behind with the kohler efi?

Why shouldn't I?

I had another thread exmark or ferris, but wasn't getting enough responses.

I am close to pulling the trigger on the Exmark, but need more feedback to sway me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=394835 heres a comparison pro turf did when he switched to turf tracers some good info on there
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I was running a 60" deck, I'd be sitting down. Why a walkbehind at that size? Don't get me wrong, I love my turf tracer, but its a 36" and for smaller properties.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't really get it either. a standon or walkbehind should be 48" or smaller.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to demo on your accounts and in your cutting conditions. Do you cut in ideal conditions? Or in wet? Weedy? High growth?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 60 TT is an animal. For starters consider this that machine will cost you about half to own compared to a 60 rider. Then add that it is half the weight so your lawns will be healthier and suffer less stress and compaction. Then realize you can take this machine places you could never safely take a rider. Then after all that think about the size. That is a big machine and it does not fit everywhere. It really all depends on your properties. Generally if you need a 60 than you probably want the speed of a rider. If you need the benefits of a WB than the 60 TT is likely too big. I loved mine so much, but it was just too big for what we did with it. It is best for commercial accounts that have hills but are large as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've run a 61" ferris walk behind for years. I will only use a walk behind because I can usually pop the front end up for uneven terrain, holes, sprinkler heads, rocks etc. I need to figure out how to do so on the exmark if I buy one. Also, I have some hills to mow that only a walk behind can mow. I have a 36" for small gates/areas the 61 can't mow. Of course as my primary mower, the bigger, the more I can mow.

Let me get the focus back to my initial question, why should I choose an exmark tt 60 efi as opposed to another walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Let me put this more bluntly then. The Exmark will cut well in ideal conditions, arguably the best. But it wet or less than ideal conditions its not so good. Now the Ferris ICD deck is very similar to a Scag velocity deck. It will cut well in almost all conditions.

Also with full floating decks like on ztr's and some walk behinds there is rarely a need to pop the deck anymore. Of corse there is always a few exceptions like curb hopping. You will have a hard time popping the deck with ECS controls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I've run a 61" ferris walk behind for years. I will only use a walk behind because I can usually pop the front end up for uneven terrain, holes, sprinkler heads, rocks etc. I need to figure out how to do so on the exmark if I buy one. Also, I have some hills to mow that only a walk behind can mow. I have a 36" for small gates/areas the 61 can't mow. Of course as my primary mower, the bigger, the more I can mow.

Let me get the focus back to my initial question, why should I choose an exmark tt 60 efi as opposed to another walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device
Exmark TT 60" w/b vs another 60" w/b?

Reason's I could see:
Tried and true design.
Cut is great (wet is the weak point).
If the Exmark dealer has good service.
Parts are out there for aftermarket options (due to being in the market for a long time).
EFI should cut fuel costs.
Has independent wheel motors/pumps which is heavy duty (I don't know if other 60" is the combo units or independent).
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 60 TT is a pig you are not going to be doing any popping with that machine. Cut really depends on the type of lawns your cutting. When scag introduced the Velocity deck years ago everyone ran to check it out because half of the year you are cutting moist grass around here. Sure it has some benefits, but hands down the Ultracut decks still cut better around here at least. Now if you are cutting fields, industrial, or bad lawns that get way too tall than the velocity is still a great choice, but for well manicured lawns it doesn't compare. Again this is here, every region is different.