Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out my new website and critique

I'm just starting out and am looking for some feedback on my website, logo ect.

www.southernshadeslawncare.com
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice job!!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well done! Nice touch with the family photo.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I thank both of you!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A few quick thoughts via a random click-through...

- Optimize the home page pic of the Adirondack chairs. It'a slow-loading, bulky 300k+ and can easily get down to 80k or so. Same goes for the About Us pic.

- An About Us page and a Our Mission page seems to be something that should be on one page.

- Services page could use some expanded content or sub-pages linked to go into further detail. "Storm Clean Up"s description is essentially saying what the service already tells me. Do you haul away the debris? etc...

- The blog layout of each page is a bit...bloggy. Comment ability on each page, the right column on the sub pages look more blog and less of a business page. Other than the home page, all of them feature right columns that are much longer than the actual page's content.

- Make your contact info and service area a highlight. The header of your page is a lot of white space that could be used to bring that relevant info front and center.

- Read previous reviews on here as a lot of them will apply to your site. SEO, effective tag use and writing, etc. The deeper reviews will be of help.

- To help with the SEO side of things, try a plugin such as Yoast or All-in-One SEO.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for taking that time tonygreek. Very good advice and will get started ASAP
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is pretty decent for what it is. I might remove the statement about Fly By Night companies. Everyone knows there are many. With the proper look and way of conducting yourself it should be obvious whether you are or are not one yourself. Also I know it's standard to say licensed and insured, but everyone says that even the guys that are not. If you are legit it is understood that you are and you do not need to point it out. What I would do it post at the bottom or somewhere out of the way your certifications and license numbers along with any organizations you belong to.

I like that the pictures are not over the top. I mean having such is great, but it usually becomes pretty obvious that they are stock photos when you have a scraggly kid on a 10 year old 48" walkbehind in one and next to it there is a picture of a 500K landscape with the title "We do pavers too". It takes time to build a good portfolio and your site will improve over time.

I like that it is complete and simple. Having a bad site does more harm to you than having none at all. I see all the time specials from 4 years ago, incomplete text areas, spelling mistakes, etc. Make sure your pages are ready before you publish them. This is so simple. Your page is a reflection of you and your work. If the pages are sloppy and incomplete I would assume the work is as well.

The main thing I would look into is colors and the logo. The logo comes across as pixellated to me. Perhaps a different format will protect the quality better. I would also play with different background colors to make it pop more.