Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape bed fabrication. What's your "must have"

Hello,
I have removed the box from my NPR. It was a 20' box. First off, I am installing a dump on the front portion of the chassis directly behind the engine. This will take up 6ft. I am left with an available 14' of frame (171" chassis.) After looking at some other beds I decided I will just build my own. I have materials ordered and arriving tomorrow. I have designed a 14' flatbed to a 4' dovetail, and ending w/ 4' ramps. I have attached a picture of my chicken scratch. The box at the front will have a hinged door folding up and laying flat on top of the cage. The "cage" will be covered in sheet metal to keep things dry, not expanded metal. The floor will be wood. Sides will be flat expanded metal. Dovetail will be 3/4" raised expanded metal. I have a good understanding of how to do the springs on the gates. The cage is only 6' wide and offset to leave 2' on the curbside. We will mount our leaf vac here in the fall, hose out the side, blowing into the side of our leaf box which will be mounted to the dump. Trimmer line holder will be mounted to the curbside railing. Curbside railing won't be folding. It will house trimmer racks and blower racks. Driver's side railing will fold down in case of side loading objects with forklift or to unload items from the side.

Any last minute ideas or suggestions? I'll post some pics up as it progresses.

Oh, Perimeter is 6"x2" tube. Crossmembers are 4"x2" tube. 2x6 wood floor. Railing and framework is 2" square tube. All sitting on 4" I beam spaced to fit the chassis. Steel cost is just under $1400, not including wood floor. I have a local powdercoater that I may use or just paint, not sure yet.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would of saved some money and weight and just used i beam for the crossers ,and c channel for the perimeter ,not to mention that when the tubing gets full of junk it will rot it all out .Most flatbeds,and truck bodies in general use this construction method .
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The I beam is heavier and thicker than 4" tube. They don't make 6" C channel with a 2" return so the railing would have to be smaller or stick past the edge of the perimeter. There will only be 4 ends of tubing open and they will get caps welded in. There will be nowhere for water to collect. Total weight before wood is just shy of 1500 lbs. Any idea what others weigh?
I believe companies that specialize in this type of construction have their materials formed or buy from a common supplier. It's not standard C channel or I beam construction. We have a 24' flatbed and a 12' flatbed in the shop and we've looked them over real good. You can't just order this material from a steel supplier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kampco.com. has everything you need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem getting 6 x 2 channel ,not sure why you cant ,theres 32 lengths in stock at my local steel supplier today .What thickness are you going with on your crossers ?must be very thin if you cant find I beam of simular thickness .
How are you planning on mounting your deck boards ? if your plan is to screw them to the crossers ,you will be creating a way for water to enter your tubing .If your looking to install your clearance lights right in the tube ,you have created another area for water to enter .
Your correct in thinking trailer and truck body manufacturers get metal custom bent for them ,not all do ,and many are made with off-the-shelf standard dimension stuff as well .
I have worked on heavy trucks for 20 years,and owned my own shop for many years during that time ,and have mounted,repaired and modified many flat decks in that time .I never saw even one that was made with tubing ,not even the aluminum ones ,they were all made with channel ,angle and i beam .
Good luck with your project .
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You bring up great points with regard to the lights and mounting the deck boards. I'll have to reevaluate tomorrow when I get to the shop. That might be a dealbraker for me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thought about the dovetail being removable? Might help to being more versatile.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called Kampco. They're 15 minutes from our shop. Sounds like they can get me squared away with materials.
I did think about the dovetail being removable but not sure what use I would have with it like that. We have an F800 with 18' flatbed if I needed to haul a real heavy load. My intent is for this truck to be strictly a lawncare rig. Not that it won't be used for other stuff too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am using them to order all my stuff to build a stake body. It's almost like buying a kit and just welding it together. They have everything I need and good prices.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Their website won't come up for me. Probably just going to stop by tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device