Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After receiving all this great info I've spent most of the morning researching commercial reel mowers. My area is a golf Mecca & all residents would prefer a course looking finished cut. This would definitely be an exclusive service since I've never seen anyone using one or advertising it. I could probably have quite a strong following rather quickly. Just picture the conversation at the tee between friends: My new mow guy uses the same mower as they use here on the greens. Oh really, what's the difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
After receiving all this great info I've spent most of the morning researching commercial reel mowers. My area is a golf Mecca & all residents would prefer a course looking finished cut. This would definitely be an exclusive service since I've never seen anyone using one or advertising it. I could probably have quite a strong following rather quickly. Just picture the conversation at the tee between friends: My new mow guy uses the same mower as they use here on the greens. Oh really, what's the difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
In all seriousness, having the correct equipment rather than what is most popular among the 20 yard per day lawn boys will set you apart. There is a reason why a lawn person can get $50 or more per cut in Honolulu on a 5000 sq ft lot. That lawn person is running either a McLane, Tru Cut, or Cal Trimmer front throw reel not a z, Dixie Chopper, or 36" walk behind. Those mowers are for cutting weeds in a zoysia or bermuda area.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One more tip: if you are going to mow with a reel, do your trimming with a machine such as a Landscape Blade or Redmax Reciprocator and your edging with a bladed edger. String does not look right on a reel cut lawn.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
In all seriousness, having the correct equipment rather than what is most popular among the 20 yard per day lawn boys will set you apart. There is a reason why a lawn person can get $50 or more per cut in Honolulu on a 5000 sq ft lot. That lawn person is running either a McLane, Tru Cut, or Cal Trimmer front throw reel not a z, Dixie Chopper, or 36" walk behind. Those mowers are for cutting weeds in a zoysia or bermuda area.
Yup. I still believe it is our job to educate the customer. When people install sports turf, it's bc they want the low cut carpet look. You don't get that cutting at 3.5" with a big zero turn. All you get is a spongy mess of thatch buildup that looks like crap. The customer usually doesn't know any better and it's our job to teach them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
One more tip: if you are going to mow with a reel, do your trimming with a machine such as a Landscape Blade or Redmax Reciprocator and your edging with a bladed edger. String does not look right on a reel cut lawn.
Yes. Greendoc recommended this to me and it is a fabulous tool. Can't tell what was cut with the reel and what was cut with the blade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering an order for a Tru-Cut reel mower but have several concerns regarding zoysia turf care & I'd love to hear your thoughts,
1. When longterm drought happens homeowners allow the turf to grow taller to retain more moisture.
2. I only have 2 days a week off to schedule work so I'm hoping that when the Florida rains begin around July that I'll be able to cut them on a standard 7 day basis.
3. Concerning the current dethatching request, would I just suggest they allow me to "shave" & bag their lawn first so we can see what's really going on down there?
4. Many of the potential lawns are new construction & fresh layed sod that has lots of seams. Sand topdressing(which I'm already set-up for) would definitely be a necessity before mowing with the reel whereas the rotary guys are currently running over it all for the sake of counting another weeks service.
Just think, if I'm an ex lawn-guy that's around this stuff & yet never considered anything but a rotary mower just imagine the number of unhappy homeowners that know the "reel" type benefits from yesteryear. It makes a business proposition nearly a no-brainer.
Thanks to all.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia turf loses even more water when it is too tall. Also, the thatch build up caused by keeping the grass too high will keep water from going down to the roots, it all hangs up at the surface. Now if this is in a non irrigated lawn, forget it. The appropriate turf is Astroturf. I do not know of grasses that look good with less than an inch of water per week for more than 2 weeks consecutively.

As I said, if you are able to cut low enough, the material removed is what is causing the trouble. Well maintained zoysia lawns in Hawaii do get cut down at scalp heights when they are thatchy or uneven. The scalp and bag sounds good to me. One more thing, when zoysia is Verticut, recovery from that procedure can be very slow.

The norm here is for sodded lawns to have their seams filled with sand right after they are laid. That is what is expected of the installer if there are any gaps between the pieces. Yet one more reason why sod is not less than $1 installed here. The standards are different. For a reel cut lawn, the sand needs to be washed in with a hose and your first cuts need to be high enough not to touch the sand.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greendoctor:
Thanks for all these great informative points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new 25" Self Propelled 10 blade 5.5 GT Briggs & Stratton OHV(which I'm not thrilled over, prefer GX160) for $950 & it's local or I see a NEW 27" TRU-CUT COMMERCIAL REEL MOWER 5.5HP HONDA on ebay with bagger & free shipping for $1870. Quite a difference there & I'd love some feedback please. $900 more is substantial difference since this is an introductory service for me.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do NOT get the Briggs....it's crap. You want the commercial Honda. That being said, b/t the 25 and 27, go with the 27 with gx Honda. How big is your average yard going to be?
Posted via Mobile Device