Register free!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm looking at something like this.. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pilot...ve/TC-127.html if the 5 pole input can be used with 4 pole, i'm assuming the 2pole plug could work in 4 pole input? did not have much luck finding that info on google, I figured i could use the 12v input on this adapter because i've seen a 2 way flat to 12v plug in at TSC. I don't really care to wire this thing straight to my battery.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i'm looking at something like this.. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pilot...ve/TC-127.html if the 5 pole input can be used with 4 pole, i'm assuming the 2pole plug could work in 4 pole input? did not have much luck finding that info on google, I figured i could use the 12v input on this adapter because i've seen a 2 way flat to 12v plug in at TSC. I don't really care to wire this thing straight to my battery.
What do you think that hitch plug is wired to?

The battery.

I can see it now though. Every time you hit the brakes the pump comes on or in order for the pump to work you have to turn on your headlights. lol
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lol.. thanks for the analogy, i get it now why the 2 way to 4 way won't work. I know the hitch plug is wired to the battery, I'm just paranoid now about having a wire comming off my batter terminal again. fire bad.. lol. I understand i could get some wire loom and a fuse and this could be fine, but i think i'd like to find a way to run it off the hitch. I figure if i had the 7 blade adapter with cig plug in, i could plug the pump to that.

what gauge wire should i have used before? I dont even remember exactly what i had, but i matched up the wire going to the marine battery that came with my pump, he ran it straight to the battery.. he mentioned something about a fuse.. i remember that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
What do you think that hitch plug is wired to?

The battery.

I can see it now though. Every time you hit the brakes the pump comes on or in order for the pump to work you have to turn on your headlights. lol
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
lol.. thanks for the analogy, i get it now why the 2 way to 4 way won't work. I know the hitch plug is wired to the battery, I'm just paranoid now about having a wire comming off my batter terminal again. fire bad.. lol. I understand i could get some wire loom and a fuse and this could be fine, but i think i'd like to find a way to run it off the hitch. I figure if i had the 7 blade adapter with cig plug in, i could plug the pump to that.

what gauge wire should i have used before? I dont even remember exactly what i had, but i matched up the wire going to the marine battery that came with my pump, he ran it straight to the battery.. he mentioned something about a fuse.. i remember that now.
Fear not. You just had it hooked up like crap or something.

14 gauge wire will do it. 12 gauge if you want a little more protection or draw more than 15 amps.

Use good loom to wrap the wire from battery to the unit, pay attention to where you come up through the bed or whatever....rubber grommets in those holes are a good idea.

Use good weatherproof connectors and crimp or better yet solder them on properly.

Install a 15 amp fuse near the battery.

Just make good connections and use the right wire.

You can ground it to the bed, frame or run a second wire right to the negative terminal of the battery.

You need:
Coil of wire
Wire wrap/loom
Connectors
Fuse kit/fuse
Tie wraps
Wire cutter/crimper

I like to use heat shrink wrap between the wire and connector even with weatherproof connectors but thats not necessary.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cadzilla is right. You want to keep all moisture away from any bare copper wire. Bare wire is highly susceptible to corrosion, especially in the presence of fertilizer. Try to avoid all splices and t-connections. If moisture gets into the connection--the wire will turn to green dust in a few months. Cover connections with silicone sealer to keep moisture out.