Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice for hiring a sales rep

I have a small landscape maintenance business that does around $175,000 in maintenance. I would like to hire a sales rep to expand commercial maintenance. My questions for you guys who have a sales rep are. What is a fair base? How do you pay commission? Residual? This is not my full time job. I am in ministry or I would sell myself. Any input would be helpfull, Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You bring in 175k with out a dedicated sales rep and this is not your full time job. Great job!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, but I dont want to give the impression that I do not put a lot of work in the business. I work in it on Monday and Saturday which would be my days off. Also I meet the crew every morning and give out scheduling, books and so on. As well as after work and lunch sometimes. I am wanting to grow to a point to have a manager and sales rep though.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question. I was sent an e-mail saying this thread was sponsored by Dow AG. They have a banner at top too. Do they host a Q&A thread on LS?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's VERY difficult to do this.

mainly i'ts the all mighty dollar.
Most of the larger contracts, you will have to PROVE you have had contracts this size or larger.
We picked up some of the metro's this year. it was a PITA. we got 13 of them at 337,000.00 for 3 years.
yes that's 1 mil for the next 3 years.

Ok unless you have dont some of these and are operating a million dollar company. FORGET IT.
a sales rep. " one who knows the business and what he's doing " WILL NOT TOUCH YOU.
at best this guy can make is 5 to 7 thousand per year.
if he has NO leads. he will be what's called cold calling. you can do this, with the same results.
I would be interested in seeing your company profile.
YOu do have one right ?
most of the time you will need to provide a balance sheet. sometimes you need it to be 5 years. in the past.

I dont belive I have ever had a commericial contract that didn't require at least 500,000.00 in WC.
with this. you will need to PROVE you have 5 million in insurance. and have held it for 5 years. and most of the time. NO MAJOR CLAIMS......

a company that is part time. and is only new worth around 300,000.00 cant do these types of jobs.
they simply dont have the resorces.
I also would be interested in seeing you vendor list. and the turnaround time on damaged plants.
if it's NOT 24 hours. throw it in the trash.
you will need an irrigation specialest on duty at all times.