Register free!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience with the fat boys. I have used a different delevan and it's fine. That fat boy looks to be twice as expensive as the 4-4.5 flojet and hypros.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most non air inducted flat fan nozzles suck in the wind. I remember one of my friends running a herbicide trial. He had one of those 9' booms with the nozzles spaced at 10". They were conventional flat fans. He was applying a combination of Celsius and Monument. As it was blowing about 10 MPH with shifts in direction and gusts, I was worried about the trees down wind. If the trees were killed or damaged, that is chemical trespass. I consider conventional flat fans unusable for herbicides except in perfectly still conditions. In my location that is a rare event and those perfectly still conditions are normally accompanied by weather conducive to inversion or volatility.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Most non air inducted flat fan nozzles suck in the wind. I remember one of my friends running a herbicide trial. He had one of those 9' booms with the nozzles spaced at 10". They were conventional flat fans. He was applying a combination of Celsius and Monument. As it was blowing about 10 MPH with shifts in direction and gusts, I was worried about the trees down wind. If the trees were killed or damaged, that is chemical trespass. I consider conventional flat fans unusable for herbicides except in perfectly still conditions. In my location that is a rare event and those perfectly still conditions are normally accompanied by weather conducive to inversion or volatility.
Could you give me a crash course on air inducted nozzles and non air inducted nozzles? I haven't ever used anything except a chemlawn gun. I agree with you. I would rather turn a spray job down than to try and do it and end up doing it incorrectly where drift damage occurs, etc.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Anotherokie, could you post pics of your ZTr setup?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is on an atv not a ztr. It's not letting me post pics. PM me your email and I'll send them to you. You can post them if you want.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I built my boom yesterday. All I need to do now is build the mount that holds the tank on my Hustler. I will be coming off the roll bar with square tubing then down to the back plate behind the engine. I bought a 25 gallon sprayer from Atwoods to mount on that platform. The boom has 6 nozzles on 10" centers. I used a piece of aluminum angle for the boom, drilled the holes with a 3/4 bit and installed the nozzles with 8003 brass flat fan tips. I am mounting the boom on the rear of the mower 12" above the ground.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can still change those tips to AI tips. The brass flat fan tips drift badly. I remember when that was all that Teejet really made for booms. An AI tip draws air into the stream of liquid. Air in the liquid means that the tip sprays out air filled bubbles that fall to the ground quickly and burst when they hit surfaces. That air filled bubble behaves like the lead balloon. It goes straight down. If you are spraying something with a lot of surfactant in it, the spray comes out like foam. An AI tip is also 110, meaning that you can have the boom 18" off the ground at 20" spacings. I am not sure of what your ground speed is going to be, so it is hard to say how many GPA. On wide open areas, I have applied at 20 GPA with good results. I am not comfortable going lower because of drift potential and the need for spray coverage. 5-10 GPA means either small spray droplets from the tips or else large droplets landing far apart.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You can still change those tips to AI tips. The brass flat fan tips drift badly. I remember when that was all that Teejet really made for booms. An AI tip draws air into the stream of liquid. Air in the liquid means that the tip sprays out air filled bubbles that fall to the ground quickly and burst when they hit surfaces. That air filled bubble behaves like the lead balloon. It goes straight down. If you are spraying something with a lot of surfactant in it, the spray comes out like foam. An AI tip is also 110, meaning that you can have the boom 18" off the ground at 20" spacings. I am not sure of what your ground speed is going to be, so it is hard to say how many GPA. On wide open areas, I have applied at 20 GPA with good results. I am not comfortable going lower because of drift potential and the need for spray coverage. 5-10 GPA means either small spray droplets from the tips or else large droplets landing far apart.
Thank you for the advice Greendoctor. I will switch to AI tips. Here was my thinking (and I'm open to suggestions)... I read that the nozzles needed to be at 20" on center if the boom was going to be 20" above the turf. I watched a lot of you tube videos and I didn't like what I saw when spraying at that height. Looked like a mist with major drift potential. So I thought that if I cut the height in half I would need to cut the spacing in half as well. 10" centers for 10-12" height vs 20" centers for 20" height. My theory was that the closer I am to the turf, the less distance for the droplets to land and be out of the air/wind currents. Adding the extra nozzles cost more, but still enabled me to get the same width of boom I wanted, but yet allowed me to mount it closer to the ground. This was my theory. I have no boom spraying experience at all. This is uncharted territory for me. Here are my needs: I would like to have the boom as close to the ground as possible 12"-15". I want it to cover 60" spray width (the same as my mowing deck). Speed can be adjusted on my mower as the Hustler X-One has built in stopper bolts in front of each hydraulic handle that can be screwed back and forth to limit how far down the handles go when pushed all the way forward. Top speed is 11 mph. I was thinking 5 or 6mph would be a good speed to spray at. I will calibrate this on concrete with a stop watch and the mph conversion, then set the stopper bolts where they need to be. As for the gpm or gallons per thousand, I am open to suggestions/instructions. This system will be used for post emergent blanket apps. Sprayer is 25 gallons/Everflow 2.2 gpm/70 psi pump.
Side note... I have a Delavan Fat Boy 7.0 gpm pump/150 psi on stand by if I need to use it instead. Thanks.
All spray nozzles are 1/2 hose barbs, so I will be going 1/2" hose from the pump outlet to the boom.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At 10" spacings and 12" above the turf, an AI11002 will work. Refer to the Teejet catalog for the nozzle tabulations. If you know tip size, spacing on the boom, operating pressure, and travel speed of the vehicle, it is not too hard to calibrate. As I was saying, 20-40 gallons per acre or 1/2-`1 gallon per 1000 sq ft is a comfortable volume for applying weed controls. What you saw on those youtube videos are regular or XR Teejet tips. I really do not like those tips when applying what I usually do in a 10 MPH wind. XR tips are something I use for liquid fertilizers only. Never for herbicides. I trust floodjet tips even less because of the wide, poorly defined pattern they put out. I know for myself that using AI tips means that nothing next to or downwind of the lawn gets herbicide injury. The faster the travel speed, the worse the drift is. For turf areas, 2-5 MPH is fast enough. If it is not, the boom is not wide enough and the tank is too small. Within reason, there is no such thing as too much pump. I have never used an electric pump for spraying. But 6 tips will draw anywhere from 1.2-4.8 GPM. It is always better to have more volume that can be bypassed back into the tank through an agitation jet.