Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How Would You Answer This Question From Customer?

This is time sensitive because my client is just about to make a decision and sign a contract with me or the other company and I need to reply pretty quickly.....

I have a customer who's done a pretty fair amount of work with us in the past. Recently we had given him a proposal for a pretty good size paver patio (Belgard Mega Arbel). He ended up getting a quote from another company for basically the same patio. But this other company has convinced him that they do base prep. better than their competitors. Instead of a base of compacted aggregate, they do it on a 4" base of concrete, reinforced with rebar.

I told him that if he was really sold on that method and that company, I didn't want to get in the way. But if he was still open to discussing the option of having us install the paver patio, the way that the manufacturer recommends and the ICPI recommends (compact aggregate base) then I'd love to look over the proposal one more time and discuss our proposal more in detail with him.

He said he is still open to discussing it with us, but wants to understand the advantages of doing the base our way vs. the other company's way. Here's exactly what he wrote to me:

"Thanks Jim. I'm interested to better understand the advantages of the compact gravel base rather than the concrete foundation reinforced with rebar. We want to make sure the surface is sound and we don't ever experience the cracking that currently exists with our patio." (Their current patio is just exposed aggregate concrete with major cracks)

Now I would normally just explain how compact aggregate, if done properly, is your most stable base. How the concrete, even with rebar, can still crack (especially in our climate) and that will probably lead to separation in the pavers above. But am I missing anything? What exactly would your reply be?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon