Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Tea Scale

What are you using to get rid of Tea Scale, how are you using it and what kind of results are you getting?

I've used Zylam liquid as a foliar on Sasanquas and Hollies but haven't had much success. The label says it will take care of it, but no luck so far. And I've checked my rate calculations OVER AD OVER AND OVER.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try using a dormant horticulture oil. That smothers them.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Try using a dormant horticulture oil. That smothers them.
I know that will take care of it, but it isn't cost effective for me. I have customers with 200-300 Sasanquas on their property, so spraying the underside of all of the leaves on that many plants is cost prohibitive. Not to mention having to go back 10 days later and do it all over.

I hate to be "ONE OF THOSE GUYS," but I need a silver bullet app. A cost effective foliar or drench thats going to give me 90% or greater control.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all, what kind of application equipment are you using? Dormant Oil is not that expensive and when applied with a JD-9 in proper environmental conditions, it works great on all types of scale. If you're looking for residual, try Merit granular spread evenly around the base of each plant to the drip line. Do this when new growth begins to appear. Check the label on liquid Merit for soil drench if that's your preference. Imidocloprid gives season long control on most insects when applied properly.

Don't take this the wrong way. But, if you can't afford to do what it takes to get the job done effectively and still make money, you're either not charging enough, you're not equipped for the task at hand or you're making promises to the customer you can't keep.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a plant guy but when to a pesticide class where the guy talked about scales.

If its soft scale he suggested acephate or seven
If its armor scale he recommended safari, oil, distance, kontos, talus, or a few others

He also said that merit would have no impact. On armor scale because of the tough shell.

After going I have figured that pest ID is way over my head and there are too many pest!! I'm years away from being comfortable enough to offer tree and shrub.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
What are you using to get rid of Tea Scale, how are you using it and what kind of results are you getting?

I've used Zylam liquid as a foliar on Sasanquas and Hollies but haven't had much success. The label says it will take care of it, but no luck so far. And I've checked my rate calculations OVER AD OVER AND OVER.
This may be a stupid question but, how do you know you were unsuccessful? Sometimes the scale is dead but still on the leaf.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm not a plant guy but when to a pesticide class where the guy talked about scales.

If its soft scale he suggested acephate or seven
If its armor scale he recommended safari, oil, distance, kontos, talus, or a few others

He also said that merit would have no impact. On armor scale because of the tough shell.

After going I have figured that pest ID is way over my head and there are too many pest!! I'm years away from being comfortable enough to offer tree and shrub.
We use acephate in our rotation of insecticides. It's cheap and effectictive. I try not to use Sevin. Merit is known for its systemic effectiveness, not quick knockdown. Scales are sucking insects that will ingest the systemic insecticide once it is in the plant. No armor to get through.

The fact remains that you have to use what works. Going cheap because its affordable is not doing anybody any favors if it isn't effective.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post

I run into this problem here with Sago palms "cycads". They get a heavy infestation of Asian Cycad Scale and we treat with Safari. A couple weeks later the customer calls to complain that our treatments arent working. They dont realize that the scale is "glued" to the foliage. Sometimes we actually pressure wash the dead scales off the Sagos to appease the client.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
camellia , safari , sasanqua , tea scale , zylam