Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The title of this thread shouldn't be why do engines fail?
It should be "it's a dang miracle they run at all!"
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Im looking at it as end of usable life not so much failure. Even a well maintained twin engine will only last 2-2.5k hours some more some less. I may have interpreted the OP wrong. By comparison how many hours do you typically get out of a diesel ZTR engine?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard about a Kohler running around 6000 hours. Piston Slapper may have seen it.

Oldtimer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Is this true about engaging at full throttle?
Yup, its also not good for your clutch/pto belt. If you look in your owners manual it should say not to engage blades at full throttle.

Think of it like dumping the clutch in your car.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I heard about a Kohler running around 6000 hours. Piston Slapper may have seen it.

Oldtimer
Posted via Mobile Device
I've seen 5000 hrs on a Command Twin and it didn't have anything to do with luck..
The guy took better care of his eqpt than a machinist with ADHD....that mower and engine were clean enough to eat off of...
I've seen guys that beat the snot out of their eqpt and replace them every 3 or 4 years...
And then there's a few of them that meticulously maintain their investments..adding years to their usefulness..
By the time you figure all the parts and man hours it takes to keep an engine and mower clean enough to eat off of...versus..just beating it like a rented mule and replacing it...
Their probably isn't much difference in how much either guy invested in the mowers...
One of them just writes a much larger check when he finally gets to the mower shop...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yup, its also not good for your clutch/pto belt. If you look in your owners manual it should say not to engage blades at full throttle.

Think of it like dumping the clutch in your car.
The 2013 Kohler EFI eXmarks have a 3 position switch (RED TECHNOLOGY) instead of a throttle. The three positions control the engine speed & blade engagement speed. The blades engage @ 2700 rpms & disengage @ 2500 rpms. These engagement and disengagement speeds will extend the clutch life. It's actually harder on the clutch when it is disengaged at full throttle vs being engaged @ full throttle.

It's different to operate an engine without a throttle lever but after a couple of minutes you won't even think about it. Just push the rocker switch to the engine performance mode you want, engage the blades, the rpms go to 2700, the blades engage, the engine revs to the selected operating speed. The lowest performance level is 1500 rpms, but engage the blades and the engine revs up to 2700, the blades engage and the rpms increase to 3250. disengage the blades and the engine slows to 2500, the blades disengage and then the engine slows down to 1500 rpms. The other 2 positions run @ 3250 & 3600 with an available over ride module to lock out the 3600 rpm speed.

The RED TECHNOLOGY also includes an electronic governor so there is no rpm droop when a heavy load is encountered. The e-governor will soon be available on carbureted Kohler engines.

Oldtimer
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
The 2013 Kohler EFI eXmarks have a 3 position switch (RED TECHNOLOGY) instead of a throttle. The three positions control the engine speed & blade engagement speed. The blades engage @ 2700 rpms & disengage @ 2500 rpms. These engagement and disengagement speeds will extend the clutch life. It's actually harder on the clutch when it is disengaged at full throttle vs being engaged @ full throttle.

It's different to operate an engine without a throttle lever but after a couple of minutes you won't even think about it. Just push the rocker switch to the engine performance mode you want, engage the blades, the rpms go to 2700, the blades engage, the engine revs to the selected operating speed. The lowest performance level is 1500 rpms, but engage the blades and the engine revs up to 2700, the blades engage and the rpms increase to 3250. disengage the blades and the engine slows to 2500, the blades disengage and then the engine slows down to 1500 rpms. The other 2 positions run @ 3250 & 3600 with an available over ride module to lock out the 3600 rpm speed.

The RED TECHNOLOGY also includes an electronic governor so there is no rpm droop when a heavy load is encountered. The e-governor will soon be available on carbureted Kohler engines.

Oldtimer
Thats cool.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
I've seen 5000 hrs on a Command Twin and it didn't have anything to do with luck..
The guy took better care of his eqpt than a machinist with ADHD....that mower and engine were clean enough to eat off of...
I've seen guys that beat the snot out of their eqpt and replace them every 3 or 4 years...
And then there's a few of them that meticulously maintain their investments..adding years to their usefulness..
By the time you figure all the parts and man hours it takes to keep an engine and mower clean enough to eat off of...versus..just beating it like a rented mule and replacing it...
Their probably isn't much difference in how much either guy invested in the mowers...
One of them just writes a much larger check when he finally gets to the mower shop...
Per chance did these engines have an oversized oil cooler, like Dixie Choppers?

Typically they use Kohler or Generac however many years ago i ran one with a Kaw and had the oversized oil cooler attached to the fan cage studs. Ive tried to locate a setup like this for my JD717a with a FH series that i converted to a 25HP. Would you know where i could find said parts?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290 View Post

Typically they use Kohler or Generac however many years ago i ran one with a Kaw and had the oversized oil cooler attached to the fan cage studs. Ive tried to locate a setup like this for my JD717a with a FH series that i converted to a 25HP. Would you know where i could find said parts?
My dealer was able to locate a cooler for a 23hp Kawi engine. There was a thread that had to do with converting 19hp engines to 25 hp. If memory serves me correctly part numbers for an oil cooler were in that thread. Kawasaki should be able to supply parts numbers as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290 View Post

Not every engine is suitable for the addition of an oil cooler. If there isn't enough output volume you could do more harm than good. The cooler also has to be matched so there isn't a pressure drop or restriction. I would like to see them on all small engines but for reasons stated and cost it isn't feasible.
Posted via Mobile Device