Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

rick.
we have the same conditions here. 9.5 pH, lots of salt ( we are an island in the outer banks), and pure sand for soils.

We use a lot of sulphur as well. We use the pscu fertilizers from john deere (i think that it's andersons). it helps a little but our water is also very alkaline.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
rick.
we have the same conditions here. 9.5 pH, lots of salt ( we are an island in the outer banks), and pure sand for soils.

We use a lot of sulphur as well. We use the pscu fertilizers from john deere (i think that it's andersons). it helps a little but our water is also very alkaline.

Yardpro

Yes we have very similar soil types and our programs should be much the same. I am not so sure PSCU (Poly Sulfur Coated Urea) is acid forming enough. I don't use it.

I am lucky in the fact deep ground water here has a high sulfur content and My personal house is on well water. I have a aerator to volatilize the sulfur before using it in the house. How ever that well provides perfect water for spraying.

Not many of your customers are going to be willing to add a Sulfuric acid injector to there well water for irrigation. St Augustine turf will not turn green at 1200 PPM of salt in the water. At 1600 PPM and over St Augustine turf starts to decline. Bermuda will stand just a little more salt but not much. Do you have any Seashore Paspalum??? You soil and water conditions sound right for it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we use a lot of elemental sulphur in addition to the pscu fert. I have stopped installing st augistine on the island. We have started using a lot of crown and el toro zoysia. They seem to tolerate it pretty well. We also maintain 15 acres of 4-19 bermuda that does pretty well with the salt.

No sod farms here have SP yet. I am looking forward to someone growing it. I think it would perform VERY well here. On the island here we are actually between zone 8 and 9 ( we have our own little microclimate).

Our water is very alkaline (pH of about 8.5-9), and VERY HARD....

I always get a kick out of some of our customers insistance to apply lime like they do at home.....We have a tobacco farmer who insists on applying liq urea, and lime to his CENTIPEDE at least 3 times per year..
Good money replacing it every 3 years though...
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use small fertilizer injectors on most of my homes they are water driven and very simple to install they put out product at 6 or 8-K to 1 depending on the insert nozzle you use they are less than 200 for the unit and fittings etc I sell them installed for 600 and they are a godsend. They just installed some at the Firestone estate in Fla. and it has been a big help to revitalize after the hurricanes. As I mentioned before I use a bridge product that is humate based with a lot of enzymes does a great job on the salts. Plus its a great add on service.www.fertileearth.com if you need something bigger and you are interested in injectors for less than 2-k installed drop me a pm and explain the situation and I can tell you what my experiences have been with the many, I have used most of them. a lot depends on your flow rates and how uniform they are. I have been using injectors on residential applications for 15 years now. If you just want to spray some product to give it a try www.biofeed.us this is the product that got me into this injector journey many years ago great product.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
we use a lot of elemental sulphur in addition to the pscu fert. I have stopped installing st augistine on the island. We have started using a lot of crown and el toro zoysia. They seem to tolerate it pretty well. We also maintain 15 acres of 4-19 bermuda that does pretty well with the salt.

No sod farms here have SP yet. I am looking forward to someone growing it. I think it would perform VERY well here. On the island here we are actually between zone 8 and 9 ( we have our own little microclimate).

Our water is very alkaline (pH of about 8.5-9), and VERY HARD....

I always get a kick out of some of our customers insistance to apply lime like they do at home.....We have a tobacco farmer who insists on applying liq urea, and lime to his CENTIPEDE at least 3 times per year..
Good money replacing it every 3 years though...
Customer "That is the way we do it up home and it has worked years and that is the way I am going to down down here!!!"

Ric "Great Sir, and you don't have to go very far for dolomite, there is a strip mine pit 2 miles south of town."

Don't get me started with the 'UP HOME" humor. 99% of my customers are transplanted Yankees. 10% still have the UP HOME attitude to some degree. They can be some of my best customers when they realize UP HOME doesn't work DOWN HOME.

IMHO Changes are that your Tobacco Farmer still farms with Mules because most do. The mules can work in narrower rows and they can grow more plants to the acre with mules. Tobacco is only grown by Government permit by the acre. 99.99 % of those permits are on the same land as they were 100 years ago. But then you are from Tobacco county and know more about it than I do.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Customer "That is the way we do it up home and it has worked years and that is the way I am going to down down here!!!"

Ric "Great Sir, and you don't have to go very far for dolomite, there is a strip mine pit 2 miles south of town."

Don't get me started with the 'UP HOME" humor. 99% of my customers are transplanted Yankees. 10% still have the UP HOME attitude to some degree. They can be some of my best customers when they realize UP HOME doesn't work DOWN HOME.

IMHO Changes are that your Tobacco Farmer still farms with Mules because most do. The mules can work in narrower rows and they can grow more plants to the acre with mules. Tobacco is only grown by Government permit by the acre. 99.99 % of those permits are on the same land as they were 100 years ago. But then you are from Tobacco county and know more about it than I do.
actually he does not farm anymore, but owns gold leaf tobacco wharehouse (they sell it, not grow it).

i know what you mean about the transplanted yankees. one of the pieces of new york got stuck here on the way to fla. We call it pine knoll shores..

LOL.
the rest are from the piedmont area.. land of fescue and bluegrass..lime and clay.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric

transplanted Yankees
Now buddy, you are beginning to get under my skin, you keep that talk up, I will have one less buddy
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-16-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I use small fertilizer injectors on most of my homes they are water driven and very simple to install they put out product at 6 or 8-K to 1 depending on the insert nozzle you use they are less than 200 for the unit and fittings etc I sell them installed for 600 and they are a godsend. They just installed some at the Firestone estate in Fla. and it has been a big help to revitalize after the hurricanes. As I mentioned before I use a bridge product that is humate based with a lot of enzymes does a great job on the salts. Plus its a great add on service.www.fertileearth.com if you need something bigger and you are interested in injectors for less than 2-k installed drop me a pm and explain the situation and I can tell you what my experiences have been with the many, I have used most of them. a lot depends on your flow rates and how uniform they are. I have been using injectors on residential applications for 15 years now. If you just want to spray some product to give it a try www.biofeed.us this is the product that got me into this injector journey many years ago great product.
Responding to my own quote? Just wanted to provide background for anyone who has not read the whole thread. I used this thread because it seems to generate the most intelligent conversation. I visited a couple of properties here that had double pump injectors with a computer "brain" there was a flow meter and in-line sensors that give the PH of the water then inject nfuric acid to bring the PH down to 5.5 then the second pump injects liquid synthetic fertilizer. The computer coordinates all of this. The plant health looks better than I have ever seen any where ever better than Monrovia plants just off the trucks. They do quarterly tissue samples to adjust the fertilizer as needed. Has anyone else ever been involved with this type of set up or results? I am particularly interested in the long term sustainability of the results. Does it shorten plants life span as it seems to put the plants into hyper drive? These systems had only been in for 18 months. At first was blown away but after considering all aspects that property looked 20%-25% better than mine with a 6-K injector set up and 170 per mo service agreement. My injector is 600 and my product less the tissue sampling is say 60 per mo. on that size property. So its like everything else if you want to pay for the best its out there. I am using a shotgun approach and spending much less and they are using a sniper and getting exactly what they are aiming for. Hope someone here can help with the ???
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member