Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Thanks! I did check it out, and it does look like there are the functions needed. This is probably not a project now since work season is only a month away, but perhaps next Winter. Investigation and consideration of another business is underway.
If you want to focus on the business and not so much the site work, I'd recommend looking in to BigCommerce.com, Shopify.com, and Wordpress/WooCommerce.com. I've used them all, while 3DCart I have only demo'd and was not overly impressed. As headz points out the squarespace offering, I'll definitely be interested in seeing how well it compliments their traditional web site offering.

Shopify is really quite easy to use and get up and running, and there are a ton of great themes available. BigCommerce is definitely more robust and feature-intensive, which may not be something that you need. It requires more hand holding. If you have done any Wordpress work, Woootheme's WooCommerce might be a good option.

Any of these would be great for getting your feet wet and not get you so bogged down in building something out that may or may not be the best use of your time. Sometimes it's better to let ready-to-go ecommerce platforms handle the heavy lifting while you prove out your concept.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tony,

Thanks for the added info. It is a huge world out there, and very hard to decipher what is useful, what is not, what is important for my needs, etc. Some of these sites do not do a very good job of selling themselves to the non-initiated (way too many acronyms!). These are probably ones that have an appeal to the experienced user.

The last statements are important, especially "proving out your concept." Sometimes good ideas/concepts get shuffled aside because of poor implementation. Other times, poor ideas/concepts are given glitzy persona, work well initially, only to fall aside later because of poor foundational ideas.

The marketplace has exploded in the past few years, with the ease of making a store-front online. Digital media, and other electronic gadgets have made many new opportunities, some of which have merit, others of which are only facades. Just as the ideas have a spectrum of merit, so does success have wide spectrum.

Thanks. I will check out those suggestions.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I used Squarespace. It's fairly simple, affordable, support is great, and has not gotten in the way of my SEO efforts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Which templates on squarespace are most of you guys using?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmikka View Post
Which templates on squarespace are most of you guys using?
I haven't see any two LCO's on here using the same template.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually forgot the name of my template. I have change it so much it doesn't look anything like the original.
Posted via Mobile Device