Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

New customer early spring

So i am new to this and wondering what some of you do if you get called for estimate to mow in early spring for new customer and there is debris every where like branches,sticks, Leaves etc. but they only called for mow. Do you push for a spring cleanup before you mow? Or tell them yard needs to be clear of debris before you mow? I mean of course your going to offer your services but dont want to sound pushy
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would give them two estimates. one for the clean up with an mow. and one for a biweekly mow throughout the growing season. I like walking the yard with the customer because they can tell you what they would expect to be done and you can talk your way into a cleanup, because they probably dont want to do it themselves since they are calling about a estimate. I would just give them the two different estimates, people usually know what their yard needs every year around this time.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not an option for us. Cleanups are mandatory. We have bills year round so you hire us year round. Now for the rest of the world, of course you push it, but you can't always win. Contract should state something to the effect of all debris to be cleared by such date. Should excessive debris remain that would prevent service, ABC Mowing shall clear at a rate of $x.xx per hour or service will be suspended until debris is cleared to ABC Mowing's approval. Your choice. It's not like you need to be a real jerk about it. A simple "this will be cleared by then, correct" will usually do. Half the time by mentioning it you'll be asked to provide a number for that as well. Let the fine print be the jerk. Of course not really a jerk, if they are not trying to take advantage or be super cheap than it is not even an issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if this is a one timer. you simply have to remove the debrees b4 mowing, this is JSUT part of the job. you just include the clean up in your bid..

PLEASE NOTE :

you being new to the Business, PLEASE, PLEASE,,PLEASE.... give yourself a babysitting clause:

YES, babysitting. our babysitting starts at 500.00. PLEASE notice the peroid.

many people will start projects and never finish. other times. there may be crews such as electrishion's. plumbers. tree trimmers. WHAT EVER...... " WE have even seen Teen-age partys "

Well if they go and make a mess and DONT clean it up. " WHO EVER, and or WHAT EVER " inform your customer. that the people who made the mess aer adults. they can inform there mothers. wife's, or girlfriends to come clean up after them. this is the best option. because you will charge them 500.00 to show up.

TRUST ME, they will try to take advantage of you. NOW. with this being said. Dont call it babysitting. unless it is other crews. or partys. if it's from a strom. then this is simply called unforseen damage. " better knowned as an act of God "

Best of luck to you
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do all of that for the price of mowing, they will own you. I know you may need customers, but definitely give your first time price and then a regular price.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ain't no pushing about it, the customers don't always know what is best, they simply call us asking what they think would be the best option, sometimes they do that by asking of us to perform a specific service simply because they think that is best although it may not be, that is not their fault, we are here to politely take care of them because we are the supposed experts and they are counting on us to help them out by giving them the information they need to make an educated choice.

Let them decide, give them the outcome in ways of possible outlooks, this yard is going to benefit this way if I do that and the other way if I do this other thing, you know, like going to a car shop, we don't know what is wrong with the car, so the mechanic takes a look and gives us the run down... Sometimes it's good news, sometimes not so much, doesn't matter, that is similar in ways to what we are here to do, take a look and give the customer the run down.

Now I don't start mowing until a certain day so if they're calling at this time asking for a mow and I get out there and see a bunch of sticks and cleanup required there's but two choices... One, I decide if I can just mow over everything and be done, sometimes that can work but two I figure out what it would take to clean it up, whichever way, and between those options and what it would cost and all of that is what I present to the customer.

Then they can decide, what it is they would like done.

Last edited by herler; 02-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I Make sure all customers know yard has to be cleaned prior to mowing service i don't care if we do it or they and they never do the good thorough job we do but whatever if we arrive and its not done will give them 2 options we will do it now at a much higher price because we have other people to mow or they can. But They will still be charged a service fee of half a cut for us being there. Not my problem they were informed by contract to do clean up by me or them. Train them in the beginning you will weed out the pitas early in the season I know we all need money but stick to your rules of service even if you loose some you don't need the headaches Do good work be fair and honest and you will be rewarded remember karma what goes around comes around its true good luck and have a safe season

Last edited by bobbycat02; 02-27-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spellinG
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

so you show up to the property and it hasn't been cleaned up, what does your spring clean up consist of? I mean do you clean up the perennials blow the leaves from the flower beds etc. or just rake up things such as sticks and branches that can cause damage to equipment and property?