Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting up for 2013

Well time has come and i need to finally go full time on my own, working for others is done haha ill never make it over the rank of foremen. Ive done it on the side for years and looking for imput how to expand myself, my situation is a little different this year for quite a few reasons. To start off im in a halfway developed area, mid to large residential and same for commercial, i do about a dozen accounts on my own. My father who is getting older has brought up the idea about passing his also small operation but bigger then mine down to me. Difference is his accounts are about 45 minutes away and are more small city houses and small commercial. That being said i dont know which way to go, i dont have enough money to buy a huge fleet of mowers to handle both companys, so the question comes what should i expand, my fathers existing company or my own, i feel since hes being doing it for 20 years that he is much more established and before he downsized was of considerable size. I dont feel i will get rid of any accounts i just wonder should i expand in my area or his. At the moment i only have a 48" walk behind and not a whole lot more to play with. Ive always used cash so it would be hard to get any type of loan. So kinda of in a hard place, if anybody can give some advice or direction to this mess it would be appreciated.
-97' F-250HD Ext. Cab Long Bed 5.8L 4x4
-08' Exmark Lazer Z 28HP EFI/60" Triton
-05' Ferris 15HP/48" Ultrabelt GD
-09' Craftsman 7.5HP/22"
-98' MTD 5HP/21"
-00' Shindaiwa T-230 Trimmer
-06'/12' Shindaiwa T-242 Trimmers
-12' Shindaiwa LE-242 Stick edger
-11' Redmax 7150 BP Blower
-00' Redmax 4300 BP Blower
-06' Craftsman 5HP Edger
-05' HaulinUt 6x12