Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I see what you mean, and what your thinking but thats a kind of mod I really dont want to know about. Welding burns the paint so I reckon Id have to take pullies etc off to sand and repaint, with a miss matched coloured paint!
It would be up to Hustler to screw up one of there decks!
Appreciate the thought though!
Im understand you mate.

However, I don't like welding on a deck if I don't have to either, so I'm thinking that you could make it by using a piece of 3/16" angle iron 1 1/2" wide on one side X 3" or whatever you need to get close to the blades without hitting the sails on the highest lift blade you use. Then, all you would have to do is drill two holes and bolt it in. If it didn't work, touch up the holes with any paint you have and then install rubber grommets to keep them from rusting or the touch-up paint from chipping off.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think i may have found something to help you guys. i was looking at that old thread ridin' posted and then read what mick said about the grass building up on the back of the discharge and then dropping. i noticed on every deck in that old thread they have a piece there where as on the vx4 there isn't a piece. i circled it in this pic. perhaps you could try to weld a piece like that in the deck and see if it helps???

i saw where mick tried it. perhaps you could try to change the angle at which it's welded until you find a sweet spot???
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i think i may have found something to help you guys. i was looking at that old thread ridin' posted and then read what mick said about the grass building up on the back of the discharge and then dropping. i noticed on every deck in that old thread they have a piece there where as on the vx4 there isn't a piece. i circled it in this pic. perhaps you could try to weld a piece like that in the deck and see if it helps???

i saw where mick tried it. perhaps you could try to change the angle at which it's welded until you find a sweet spot???
I think this is the baffle, which Mick has attempted to make.

Name:  IMG_0994.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  114.4 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes it looks like the angle of it is wrong....or it could just look like it's wrong in the pic???
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Im understand you mate.

However, I don't like welding on a deck if I don't have to either, so I'm thinking that you could make it by using a piece of 3/16" angle iron 1 1/2" wide on one side X 3" or whatever you need to get close to the blades without hitting the sails on the highest lift blade you use. Then, all you would have to do is drill two holes and bolt it in. If it didn't work, touch up the holes with any paint you have and then install rubber grommets to keep them from rusting or the touch-up paint from chipping off.
I was too late to edit this into the above post-

The thing is, the VX4 appears to be almost straight across the front area where the grass flows and in how the blades line up across compared to any other deck. If you look at how the three blades are lined up too, it appears that the left blade throws clippings right towards the back edge of the discharge chute where they gather and fall as clumps. that's why i suggested the baffle plate(s).
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

here's more of them:
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im leading towards the boxed in section needing to be removed or atleast carry forward to straight edge till that thin edge is the last thing the grass clipping can hit. Carrying it forward will mean a smaller discharge area but that may be ok.

Name:  VX4 mod.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  23.3 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

see here the vx4 has no angled piece of metal. it's just straight.

...and look even the hustler guy is pointing at where the problem is.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Im understand you mate.

Welding where I have is about all Im going to do. Everytime I weld something means prep'ing and painting. No real big deal but still a pita.
If Hustler came up with something then sure, I'd do it but Im not going to screw the deck up any more.
Its not up to me! All this RnD is unpaid, frustrating, costs money and makes it harder to get the deck back to original. At the moment, all I have to do is grind that baffle off, weld a bit of steel back on and paint it. Drilling holes in the middle of the deck means a lot more work to get it back to normal. I have to draw a line somewhere!

Green, Most of my properties are pretty small so I clean it up as best I can. Im quoting a high school with about 10acreas of ovals. The turf is super thick. I am concerned that if I get the job, this deck is going to really suck on this turf. I'd have no choice but to clean up the clumps/windrows so will cost me a lot of time and money. I may not even bother taking on the job because of it. A potential $60k/yr job!

The baffle has 2 angles, the main verticle part is at something like 80'. Its pizzing down with rain at the moment and complete slop down at the shed, so Im not going down there to measure. I'd end up on my azz!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think you may have been on the right track when you did what you did. perhaps it just needs a little tweaking and it may improve the clumping alot.