Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time for a new mower

I work solo with around 75 lawns I take care of. I have a 61" ferris walk behind and a 36" snapper pro for backyards. My ferris has 800-900 hours on it, I do take good care of it, but I have had it 4yrs, maybe 5?

The only major problems I've had with it were: the deck was scalping on hills. Somehow the floating deck got out of wack. Then recently, the coils needed to be replaced.

I am now considering a new primary mower to relieve the ferris.

My options are: (and I have been at it for a long time trying to determine my next move) I get another ferris 61". I know the machine, I know I can do my jobs with it.

A snapper pro 61". Basically the same machine, different hydro/transmission, and bigger tires. They run about a grand cheaper than ferris.

Exmark 61wb has good features but isn't gonna happen. Deck height adjustment and not being able to pop the front end up quickly to avoid hitting something and the cost compared to ferris are gonna hold me back from purchase.

I bought a 36" v-ride 2 yrs ago for my back yards. I was told they can mow hills, just nothing extreme. I was mislead and I couldn't mow many of my backyards that had hills. So for $1,000 and many months after purchase, I was able to return it (even though I brought it back to the shop 2 weeks after purchase).

My biggest debate is buying a stander to be my primary mower but still have my ferris for hills that the stander cant mow, and of course my 36 snapper pro for backyards. The wright stander x or the zk 61" models are likely candidates. Being wider than the 36 v-ride it should hold hills fairly well. I never thought I would consider a stander after my experience but since I work solo, I am looking for something more productive. I will demo one in the coming weeks when it dries out here.

Have you had experience with these standers, if so, can you give me a review. Especially if you switched from a walk behind to stander and you have hills to mow that you pull out a walk behind for.

I feel that at 13-14 mph, I can be much more productive than 4-6mph on a walk behind, but I am also curious about cut quality in all conditions, will the 1,000-1,250 lb machine cause more damage to a wet lawn than a walk behind? Will it rut more in turns when wet or is it operator error most if the time? Amount of fuel used compared to a walk? Ease of maintenance?

I will also need a bigger trailer if I want to use my ferris as back up as I only have a 12 ft trailer.

All hassle aside, again my point is to be more productive because I am not ready to hire anyone. So if I am more productive, I could add to my client base of 75 and make up for any extra costs incurred with a new mower purchase.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time. I look forward to some good feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time for a new mower

Have you looked at ferris evolutions? I demoed one and loved it will probably pick one up this spring. Idk how big your hills are but it handled the ones I had very well.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Scag can go 11mph and it is the fastest, but your not going to be going full speed, usually 3/4 speed around 7-8mph. Which is still doubling your productivity on your big mower.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't demoed the ferris evo I don't think my dealer sold many. they have their faults. You have to sit or it kills the engine? It's not even an option for me.

According to wright specs, I believe it can go 13.5 mph. Also the fact that you stand between the tires instead of behind like all other standers, should create better hill stability among other things.

I know scag v-rides are built well and again, I did like the machine except that it couldn't handle a hill. I'm sure it gets much better with the larger size you get. Unfortunately after spending $1,000 to return a machine, I don't really want to deal with them anymore. Also, I've emailed scag a few times and instead of an email response to follow up my detailed emails, I get a phone call from their local rep with a message saying what can I help you with. I spent time to email many things that I expected to be addressed.

I will likely try to demo all standers to see which best fits my needs or if a stander will work for me at all, in the meantime, I will rule a few out if I get enough reviews on here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Gravely Pro-Stance stander sticks to hills like glue. I have a nice review on it here on LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here it is...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389107
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

take a look at your local dealers first. I run a scag tiger cat 27/61 great mower no problems. will also be running a 36 deere and another 60 in mower either exmark or scag
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't looked into new Wright equipment so you could very well be right, although that doesn't sound right. Remember that Wright's don't have an suspension in their platforms so you feel every rut and bump.

I stood on a Pro-Stance at a local show and it felt nice, but I wasn't allowed to run the machine inside.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Feeling every rut would be bad, hopefully I can demo a few standers on several of my lawns
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I haven't demoed the ferris evo I don't think my dealer sold many. they have their faults. You have to sit or it kills the engine? It's not even an option for me.

According to wright specs, I believe it can go 13.5 mph. Also the fact that you stand between the tires instead of behind like all other standers, should create better hill stability among other things.

I know scag v-rides are built well and again, I did like the machine except that it couldn't handle a hill. I'm sure it gets much better with the larger size you get. Unfortunately after spending $1,000 to return a machine, I don't really want to deal with them anymore. Also, I've emailed scag a few times and instead of an email response to follow up my detailed emails, I get a phone call from their local rep with a message saying what can I help you with. I spent time to email many things that I expected to be addressed.

I will likely try to demo all standers to see which best fits my needs or if a stander will work for me at all, in the meantime, I will rule a few out if I get enough reviews on here.
Posted via Mobile Device
You didn't like return phone call back from a detailed email? Your kidding?

The phone call done properly could of had all you questions answered in a short period of time. If the email was a bunch of bitching I would expect a call because it makes everything real and not hiding behind a computer.

A phone call is good customer service and you complain about it.

Pretty sure you had unrealist hillside ablity for the vride since I own a 48" and it can do more than a turf tiger. Not as much as a w/b but close. Maybe under 2 wks wasn't enough time to learn the unit.
Posted via Mobile Device