Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,153
As far as mailers go. I'd have all my ducks in a row with the printing/production aspect and watch the extended forecast religiously. When the time looks right to pull the trigger on getting them in the mail...pull the trigger.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,711
Here is a couple great pieces from Ohio State on fertilizing and also one on managing lawns through a drought.
Please note they say to stay off dormant turf during hot dry periods.

I find it very funny that guys make up their own "turf science" when it benefits their wallet.

Just some very good reading especially for the newer guys on here.


Fertilizing lawns
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4006.htm

Dormant lawns
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4029.html
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Real Green's Avatar
Real Green Real Green is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
We just had an ice storm on Friday.

Why would anyone apply now with possibly 3-4 weeks of winter left?

Blows my mind to how these guys consider themselves professionals.

Gives the industry a black eye IMO.
Just checkin' in Rod. Hope all is well!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Here is a couple great pieces from Ohio State on fertilizing and also one on managing lawns through a drought.
Please note they say to stay off dormant turf during hot dry periods.

I find it very funny that guys make up their own "turf science" when it benefits their wallet.

Just some very good reading especially for the newer guys on here.


Fertilizing lawns
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4006.htm

Dormant lawns
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4029.html

That second one was great reading for someone who cares for cool season turf. The first one is no longer there...

Rod, I wasn't making up "turf science". I was merely giving an example, albeit, not a realistic example of how the total pounds of N recommended could be applied during the course of the season. Nowhere in your linked article did I see it say only 4 apps per year should be done on lawns in Ohio, much less anywhere else.

Look, No argument here. I'm just trying to point out the fact that you can't expect everyone to follow the example you gave any more than I could expect everyone to follow the one I gave. That's why Universities give a Total N per year recommendation instead of a "this many fertilizations" recommendation.

I guess I'm guilty of being in business to make money and I have gone far in this endeavor but I wasn't able to do it by taking advantage of folks. I had to skip a lot of apps last year because of the drought but I still averaged more than 4 apps per customer....This will not keep a green, weed free lawn in my area.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,711
Ted

In no way was that pointed towards you.
Just great reading.

The first article DOES state 3-4 applications per season but also lists the recommended rate at each app.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,153
It's all good Rodney.

How's that big pile of sh!t you've got...

Bet it's growing.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
It's all good Rodney.

How's that big pile of sh!t you've got...

Bet it's growing.
The poop is doing great!

The pile actually gets smaller and smaller as it composts. LOL

We are gonna start blending it here in a few weeks and screen it.

Hard to belive that spring is right around the corner.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,328
I did a round of mailers in late janurary....we try to finish round 1 by march 1st.... It wasn't as successfull as I hoped but timing may have need off. It's been cold and rainy here and we haven't gotten manyofnthe 60-70 degree February days we normally get. My mailer just listed a few services... Mowing, weed control, fire ants, and Mosquitos.

I now have a second round of mailers in the works and they should arrive around march 20 or so. This round has some % off and a "free" offer. We should be back to mowing regularly and round 2 should start mid April. We shall see!!!
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Green View Post
Just checkin' in Rod. Hope all is well!
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

How you doing ol buddy!

Miss ya man!

Give me a call sometime.

Hope all is well with you.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I did a round of mailers in late janurary....we try to finish round 1 by march 1st.... It wasn't as successfull as I hoped but timing may have need off. It's been cold and rainy here and we haven't gotten manyofnthe 60-70 degree February days we normally get. My mailer just listed a few services... Mowing, weed control, fire ants, and Mosquitos.

I now have a second round of mailers in the works and they should arrive around march 20 or so. This round has some % off and a "free" offer. We should be back to mowing regularly and round 2 should start mid April. We shall see!!!
Do you send 1 mailing out per household or do you send multiple mailings to the same household?

This year we are focusing on really nice community real hard. Its about 4000 homes and we are going to send them two post cards in a week then send out another the next week. So we are gonna hit the same homes with post cards three times and they will be sent the same 2 weeks we are having a commerical on (which we are hoping they will piggy back each other).

May work, may not but we are going to give it a shot.

Gonna try it anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.07128 seconds with 9 queries