Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Hey, with regards to the red section which is where you suggest filling in to bring the edge to a verticle/right angle. Is this to achieve a reduced angle on the baffle?

As what Mick is going to do with the new design in end up with a verticle/right angle edge. Its just that he will be further back on the deck. Hence he will have a greater angle on his than in your design.

Are you suggesting to have less of an angle?
What I am trying to demonstrate with my sucky drawing is a way to make the baffle be vertical (in relationship to the ground and/or at a right angle to the cutting edge of the blades instead of at an angle to them as it is now) with minimum fabrication, but it will make the baffle angle shallower, as well as the chute being a bit smaller in size. The idea is to keep grass from being re-circulated around the right blade, and to keep it flowing more towards the front of the opening and away from that edge where it seems to be collecting before dropping off as clumps.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see what your saying Ridin', basically get it all back to spec and then add a vertical baffle, filling in the gap between baffle and the angled part on the chute.
But like Green said, there will be much less angle from chute to spindle. The angle is to deflect clippings out. I reckon the more angle the better. When I was down the shed earlier, I cut that first piece of tube and tried it under the deck, it will be much flatter than what it looks in the pic.

Green, maybe you could make a template up out of cardboard and see, just to see what sort of angle you can get. It was hard for me to get a true idea due to the cr@p I have under there now!

If what Ridin' said did work, it would make it pretty easy to make a baffle to suit. Just need what Ive cut today but also a return to the angled part on the rear of the chute.

Slow, thanks buddy. My local dealer is a Scag man so he may even have a couple laying around. To buy one they'd bend me over and give it to me good! I can make one for free!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Riding - Yes thats what I thought you were describing. This is something I will make up as I havnt cut the triangle section out, maybe next weekend I will be able to. The next 5 days full of work.

However Mick is suggesting more angle is better, if I refer to the scag baffle, it appears to have to same amount of angle as what Mick is going to end up with.

So between the two of us we will be able to trial the two designs I suppose.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Green, maybe you could make a template up out of cardboard and see, just to see what sort of angle you can get. It was hard for me to get a true idea due to the cr@p I have under there now!

If what Ridin' said did work, it would make it pretty easy to make a baffle to suit. Just need what Ive cut today but also a return to the angled part on the rear of the chute.
I'll have a go at making up a cardboard template tomorro arvo.

Also tomorrow I will take some more photos of the cutting, taking the digital camera with me.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of thoughts....

Mick, have you made and tried an exact copy of a SCAG or eXmark Turbo baffle? They are not nearly as big as what your fabbing up. I know your trying to bring yours down to block the boxed section, but not sure if that NEEDs to be done. I would go buy a SCAG one and bolt that on. Maybe the airflow that this little piece produces will deflect everything else and solve the problem?

Second...

When I was having hydro issues, I prepared a 3 page letter explaining in detail my problems. I mailed it to the President of Excell Industries. I won't go into detail, but things really started going my way. We shouldn't have to go to these extremes, but in this case, if they truely don't know about issues with QOC, they will at least have written documentation from two guys from down under!

For you guys, I would include pictures and possibly email him directly as well with links to pictures and video. I would time this email to hit a day or so after the mail. This would cost about what, $5 for postage?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick/Green-

I know my angle in (represented in black) doesn't look as angled as the Scag design, but that's what I was trying to do- not so much angle so that the clippings tend to go towards the front and center of the chute, and not hit and catch up on the rear like they have. The way I have it drawn, it is on about a perfect parallel with the front skirt which shoulld help with the flow.

Plus, I didn't want to draw it with the inner point farther forwards than the front of the right spindle because clippings would then flow in behind it from the left blade, and catch up and still fall as clumps (I think).
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
When I was having hydro issues, I prepared a 3 page letter explaining in detail my problems. I mailed it to the President of Excell Industries. I won't go into detail, but things really started going my way. We shouldn't have to go to these extremes, but in this case, if they truely don't know about issues with QOC, they will at least have written documentation from two guys from down under!

For you guys, I would include pictures and possibly email him directly as well with links to pictures and video. I would time this email to hit a day or so after the mail. This would cost about what, $5 for postage?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea Im all for doing this. I have done so in the past & was given a resolution.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The first baffle I made only came down about 2"... see the pic below. Virtually only difference between that and the Scag was the raked angle. The problem is getting clippings past the outer edge and that boxed section.

This baffle didnt do anything to help, was a complete failure. The clippings still got caught on the edge under the baffle. Thats why Ive had to shape the baffle all the way out past the edge and down to the bottom of the deck, and so close to the blade.
Having it close to the blade to reduce the area for clipping to get caught. Its no drama making more space above the blade but its the same principle, to reduce places for clippings to get caught. You can see in the pic where most clippings hit the baffle, its not up at the top of the deck.
All I really think will work is giving it more angle from the spindle but again, that means cutting everything right out of there, right back to the boxed section. I believe the boxed section to be a major part of the problem!.

Think of it like dropping a sponge onto s table, itll just land and stay there. Prop up one end of the table and drop it again, the sponge will want to go the way the surface is angled. The greater the angle, the more the sponge will want to travel. A crude pic to show what I mean below...

Ive messaged the president on here, he said he'd look into it. I believe they notified the importers, they got in touch with me only to say go speak with "my guy". Basically, everyones passing the buck back to me and a Scag dealer. Unbelievable! Ive tried messaging the president again and havent heard anything back!

All I want to know is if Hustler are looking into it, and if so, what are they working on to fix it. If they have a baffle, I want one! I would also like a can of paint and a new deck!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think it's really weird they made the boxed part stick out farther than the edge of the deck like that. why did they do that i wonder?
Attached Images

Last edited by weeze; 03-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

.....or this?
Attached Images