Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Learning the craft?

So I am going to be starting up a landscape business soon and just gonna start on lawns and fertilization at first. My question is where if anywhere can I learn to do hardscapes (the right way)? I have done retaining walls and things like that at my home but if down the road I wanted to ad this with my business where can I learn how to do it?

Not thinking of doing it anytime soon but just want to learn!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A good place that has online courses is:

The Andrew Hardscape Institute.

To find out more clicks here:
www.andrewhardscape.com/institute

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing as this is a new business venture for you you may not be busy a full 5 or 7 days a week. I would look for a company that does hardscape only (So your not conflicting with maintenance business) and see if you can work with them 2 or 3 days a week. Who knows maybe you get a few maintenance clients otu of it and you can give them business for installs until you go out on your own.

Had a few people try the Andrew Hardscape Institute but they weren't happy with the instructors and quality was really lacking....and $$$$$. haha.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore.Landscaping View Post
Seeing as this is a new business venture for you you may not be busy a full 5 or 7 days a week. I would look for a company that does hardscape only (So your not conflicting with maintenance business) and see if you can work with them 2 or 3 days a week. Who knows maybe you get a few maintenance clients otu of it and you can give them business for installs until you go out on your own.

Had a few people try the Andrew Hardscape Institute but they weren't happy with the instructors and quality was really lacking....and $$$$$. haha.
I appreciate the great advice. I wouldn't be adding hardscapes on for awhile if I did but I just want to learn and learn right. I guess like you said my best bet would be to see if I could hop on a crew a few days and learn. No better way to learn than to just do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Few of my friends took it too, big disappointment!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Few of my friends took it too, big disappointment!!!
1400 seems ridiculous to me for 3 days. I took a welding class for that much and it lasted 16 weeks. How much can you really learn in 3 days, well I guess some can learn a lot but 1400 is still ridiculous IMO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Take some business classes. Understand how business works so that you can understand what your costs are, and what profit really is. Check your local small business administration and take classes with their score program. It will give you some background and is realitively inexpensive. If your going to learn a trade it is important, but the business end can be it's own animal.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

This is an excellent idea. Next is take a ICPI course for very basic education (your paver supplier should be able to locate a class for you). Then tackle a few small projects for yourself or forgiving family member. When you do your small projects go through all the processes of estimating and tracking you job times and record your issues with timing of material deliveries and removal of excavated dirt, etc..
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
Take some business classes. Understand how business works so that you can understand what your costs are, and what profit really is. Check your local small business administration and take classes with their score program. It will give you some background and is realitively inexpensive. If your going to learn a trade it is important, but the business end can be it's own animal.
Thanks for the great advice!
Posted via Mobile Device