Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi,
I have 10 acres that will be done twice a week. I am leaning toward the Gravely pro turn 460, the Hustler Xone, Grasshopper 600 seires or a Dixie Copper. I really like the Gravely machines, I had one and it was fantastic for my little 3 acres. Am I overkill on my choices? I do not want to buy another one after this. Once I get good equipment and get use to it, I like to keep it around for a while. Any thoughts
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornFart View Post
Hi,
I have 10 acres that will be done twice a week. I am leaning toward the Gravely pro turn 460, the Hustler Xone, Grasshopper 600 seires or a Dixie Copper. I really like the Gravely machines, I had one and it was fantastic for my little 3 acres. Am I overkill on my choices? I do not want to buy another one after this. Once I get good equipment and get use to it, I like to keep it around for a while. Any thoughts
I don't think you are overkill. I think you are right on the money with your choices. I like the Hustler X one. Solid choice. I was looking at the Xone i. Nice!!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Which machine would you buy?

Hello folks,

Currently I'm considering buying a 2010 Ferris Hydrocut, 36" 15hp Kaw with 50 hrs, a 2005 Simplicity Champion, 44" deck, 18 hp Kohler with 400 hrs, or a new Toro Timecutter, 42", 21.5 Kaw vtwin (ss4260).

Ferris walk behind: 1800.00
Simplicity zero turn: 1600.00
New Toro Timecutter: ~3k

Good dealer support for all nearby. Three year warranty on the Toro.

I have 1/2 acre with one 10* slope for about 20 yds, numerous trees and beds. Believe it or not the walk behind is longer than the zero turn; storage in shed is limited. I am fit but would like to use a dethatcher, light aerator, and a leaf sweeper occasionally.

As for other mfgs; 3k is my limit, no other dealers nearby.

If I had my druthers I would get a new Wright Stander or a Toro Grandstand. As I am not wealthy and do not mow commercially that's not going to happen.

Please choose or let me know of others I may be leaving out.

Thanks,

DC

Mods-- please move if in incorrect thread-- thanks!

Last edited by dcfas; 03-12-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Wrong thread?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Hello folks,

Currently I'm considering buying a 2010 Ferris Hydrocut, 36" 15hp Kaw with 50 hrs, a 2005 Simplicity Champion, 44" deck, 18 hp Kohler with 400 hrs, or a new Toro Timecutter, 42", 21.5 Kaw vtwin (ss4260).

Ferris walk behind: 1800.00
Simplicity zero turn: 1600.00
New Toro Timecutter: ~3k

Good dealer support for all nearby. Three year warranty on the Toro.

I have 1/2 acre with one 10* slope for about 20 yds, numerous trees and beds. Believe it or not the walk behind is longer than the zero turn; storage in shed is limited. I am fit but would like to use a dethatcher, light aerator, and a leaf sweeper occasionally.

As for other mfgs; 3k is my limit, no other dealers nearby.

If I had my druthers I would get a new Wright Stander or a Toro Grandstand. As I am not wealthy and do not mow commercially that's not going to happen.

Please choose or let me know of others I may be leaving out.

Thanks,

DC

Mods-- please move if in incorrect thread-- thanks!
Which mower did you like the most?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Which mower did you like the most?
I like the Ferris wb. It's compact, powerful, single hydro, and we have a reputable dealer/shop nearby. It weighs in under 400lbs and it has under 50 hrs on it. If I pull the trigger I'll be gambling on a used machine and I'll be walking for the next decade.

But it crushes my 21" Lawnboy-- LOL.

Check it out: http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3668589917.html

Quick note on the 30" Timemaster: My mower has that personal pace bar. One of the reasons I want to step up is I'm tired of pushing that darn machine. The personal pace bar is the reason I'm not considering it.

DC

Last edited by dcfas; 03-17-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The Ferris is a single hydro so turning it may be more of a chore than a dual system. Just make sure that you can verify the machine actually only has 50 hours on it and not a reset hour meter. The picture is not very clear but it looks like there may be more wear on the machine than I would expect for such low hours. Best of luck and, if you buy it, let us know how it performs.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
The Ferris is a single hydro so turning it may be more of a chore than a dual system. Just make sure that you can verify the machine actually only has 50 hours on it and not a reset hour meter. The picture is not very clear but it looks like there may be more wear on the machine than I would expect for such low hours. Best of luck and, if you buy it, let us know how it performs.
IS500Z,
Thanks for the heads up. I've read mixed comments about the maneuverability of this machine. I will try it out first. The snow seems to keep on piling up lately, so I'm going to bide my time.

I've also seen more mowers show up for sale as of late. Maybe a nice stander will show up in my range (which means around a thousand hours). I was drooling over Grassman's Wright standers but we have no dealers/shops here, can you believe it? We do have Scag and Toro, as well as Ferris, though- Exmark, too. It would be much simpler if I could just splurge. Money solves everything, they say.

DC
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

New ZTR purchase advice

Hello, I am new to the ZTR purchasing and all the research I have been doing is quite time consuming and confusing. I have a 2 acre yard mostly flat not very smooth. I have been looking at the gravely zt xl 48, the hustler sport 48, and the exmark quest 50. The main thing that I have been looking for is the fab. deck, would like the serviceable hyros, and a kawasaki motor. My max budget is 4500 but with the right advice I may be able to squeeze 5000 out the door tops. Any advice between these or any other brands or options I should focus on would really help before my wife kills me with obsessing and researching these machines. In advance thank you for looking and for any suggestions.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hello, I am new to the ZTR purchasing and all the research I have been doing is quite time consuming and confusing. I have a 2 acre yard mostly flat not very smooth. I have been looking at the gravely zt xl 48, the hustler sport 48, and the exmark quest 50. The main thing that I have been looking for is the fab. deck, would like the serviceable hyros, and a kawasaki motor. My max budget is 4500 but with the right advice I may be able to squeeze 5000 out the door tops. Any advice between these or any other brands or options I should focus on would really help before my wife kills me with obsessing and researching these machines. In advance thank you for looking and for any suggestions.
Tony,
Check out the marketplace board:
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
The usual suspects seem to be Scag, Exmark and Toro, Ferris. My decision is heavily dependent on which dealer/shop is nearby and their reputation for excellent work and a fair price.
My wife is also thinking I've lost it!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Tony,
Check out the marketplace board:
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
The usual suspects seem to be Scag, Exmark and Toro, Ferris. My decision is heavily dependent on which dealer/shop is nearby and their reputation for excellent work and a fair price.
My wife is also thinking I've lost it!
Thank you for the reply and link, I am going to check out the bobcat tomorrow. If the price is right I may pull the trigger.