View Poll Results: Keep job or not?
Yes 20 32.26%
No 21 33.87%
Maybe 8 12.90%
Or tuff it out? 13 20.97%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info guys....I am in the same boat, I work a rotating 12 hour shift working weekends (which i dont mind) night and hoilidays including Christmas....been doing this for 12 yrs now...plus a ton of OT (last year I worked 800 hours of OT) I made 140K but the BS, time away from my family working nights and holidays and stress is getting to me. I would love to leave my fulltime job and run my biz fulltime. I have been setting myself up for a few years now by buying rental property to offset the slow periods in my lawn business and I also have a financial planner to help me with the transition, but I am still afraid to make the leap and getting out of my comfort zone

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Good info guys....I am in the same boat, I work a rotating 12 hour shift working weekends (which i dont mind) night and hoilidays including Christmas....been doing this for 12 yrs now...plus a ton of OT (last year I worked 800 hours of OT) I made 140K but the BS, time away from my family working nights and holidays and stress is getting to me. I would love to leave my fulltime job and run my biz fulltime. I have been setting myself up for a few years now by buying rental property to offset the slow periods in my lawn business and I also have a financial planner to help me with the transition, but I am still afraid to make the leap and getting out of my comfort zone
Are you saying you netted 140K or grossed 140K?
So, say 40H work weeks (2880H/Y+ 800 OT (1200 pay hours) thatís 3280 pay hours = 42.68/H

It takes a extremely efficient small lawn business (<4 employees) or a big lawn business (forget mid size, 1/1000 chance to make it in the middle) to net that kind of money on a constant basis.

So you need to make a decision, do you want to make less but have a family or work more but for more hours?
I choose family/sanity/vacation possibility.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
Are you saying you netted 140K or grossed 140K?
So, say 40H work weeks (2880H/Y+ 800 OT (1200 pay hours) that’s 3280 pay hours = 42.68/H

It takes a extremely efficient small lawn business (<4 employees) or a big lawn business (forget mid size, 1/1000 chance to make it in the middle) to net that kind of money on a constant basis.

So you need to make a decision, do you want to make less but have a family or work more but for more hours?
I choose family/sanity/vacation possibility.
The money is nice don't get me wrong.....but it can't buy back the hoilidays, birthdays and kids school & sporting events that I missed during the past 12 years. Not to mention the rotating shift work from nights to days and days to nights every 2-3 days.

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor