Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerfield View Post
Website creation is not hard, wordpress is a php script pretty much some one build a working content management system and put it out online for free.

many hosting providers already have an installation guide pre-built.

you can keep any look you want, if you pay some one.

i may not tell you how to build install , and design with WordPress, but i am saying the information is already online and if you want it you can have it.

Not going to post a tutorial on here since millions of people already did, search google, youtube

HOW TO BUILD A WEBSITE WITH WORDPRESS.

simple enough?

I hope you guys take my advice , i will built many websites soon so you guys can see them and maybe help you with ideas
So very, very helpful. To summarize...
1. Take current, poorly built site.
2. ???
3. Voila! New Wordpress Site!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm even more confused now than when i started. I understand i need to work on SEO, can i get anywhere with that with my current site? I don't know whether i NEED to do wordpress or if i can optimize mine. I need something simple and easy to edit because when the season starts i'm not gonna have time to do alot with it or spend time updating with a full time job, mowing, and a newborn at home
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The good news is that if you were to decide to move your existing content to a different framework, there's not much there. Even if you had to retype everything you could knock it out in a couple hours. The challenge with Wordpress (and I say this as someone whose site is on Wordpress) is that it can be tricky to make a site that looks like a traditional website. The WP default is mostly a blog format, so that's what visitors see.

It comes down to what your goals are for the website. If all you want is the legitimacy that having a website conveys and an online brochure you can send people to, you're probably fine. If you're looking to develop something deeper and more robust including search ranking and lead generation what you have may fall a little short - but it doesn't sound like you have the resources (especially time) to devote. So really, you need to think about what you need the site to do for you. Talking about different content management systems without resolving that question is putting the cart before the horse.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
i'm even more confused now than when i started. I understand i need to work on SEO, can i get anywhere with that with my current site? I don't know whether i NEED to do wordpress or if i can optimize mine. I need something simple and easy to edit because when the season starts i'm not gonna have time to do alot with it or spend time updating with a full time job, mowing, and a newborn at home
Since you're using Weebly, you have to work with the tools and options they give you. I'm familiar with the sites that are produced with them, but not familiar with their builder interface and SEO tools, so you'll need to translate advice to implementation. I'm sure that you have control over the basic SEO tagging, so you should be fine. In the future, when you feel comfortable enough, or have the budget to, you will probably want to expand to a better underlying framework as Weebly's code just isn't good. It's one of those things, like Wix, Homestead, or GoDaddy's builders, where it's simply the cost of doing business to have a easy to launch site. Yes, there are definitely better (squarespace, for example), but let's focus on what you can do to better work with what you have. If you approach the fixes with some better understanding and background of how your site and SEO works together, you'll be better prepared to work with your current site. My suggestion would be to go in the following order...

1.) For SEO Concepts and Examples, read:
Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide
seomoz's Beginner's Guide to SEO
2.) Read the archives of reviews here. You will see repetitive advice in the reviews, but hopefully that repetition builds concepts and best practices familiarity.

3.) Create a Google Webmaster Tools account. Poke around in there and see what recommendations it has for your site. You have a sitemap.xml file, so you'll want to submit that there as well. This will help Google better crawl your site. Bing also has a Webmaster account, so that's one you may want to create as well.

4.) Hit GetListed.org and see what you citations (directory listings) you can claim. http://getlisted.org/snapshot.aspx?eqs=cuts+up&z=64034

Start by claiming your Google/Yahoo/Bing Local or Places pages as these can take a couple of weeks to verify. When you create any listing for your business, be sure that the Name/Address/Phone Number (aka, the NAP) are the exact same and that it accurately reflects the NAP found on your site. This is a primary method of corroborating your business', and web site's, legitimacy.

5.) Re: your site, after going through the previous steps, you should have a better understanding of how to make adjustments to your site. As I previously mentioned, these are just suggestions and a guide to what you need to cross-reference in Weebly's admin.

Let's start at the top...

- Banner: You should be able to get your logo up there. Currently, you have a textual name, and the logo is down in the site's content body. Moving the logo up gives you an instant, more professional look of "Hey, here's my brand.".

Get your service area up there. As it is, your banner is wide open as it only has the name of your business and a phone number. Give the search engines and your visitors some easy understanding of where you are and who you service.

- Have a good email spam filter or Google "email obfuscator" for ways of tricking spam bots. The way your email address is currently displayed is easy harvesting for the spam bots. An email obfuscator will help you fly under their radar.

- Someone else recommended reworking the "call, email, or text and we'll get back to you as soon as we can". Definitely good advice. Potential customers view such open-ended contacts as something akin to sending a note to a blackhole. Past experiences tell them they quite possibly won't hear back from you in a timely manner or at all.

- Get local. Work in locally-focused keywords in to your content and tags. Don't forget suburbs or towns that are around your main service city. Not everyone searches by main area, and people are getting more sophisticated in how they search as it cuts down on the static they receive.

- Hit schema.org and learn how to add a schema'd address to your footer. Make use of that footer space. Don't list your service cities down there as that's just a keyword stuffing marker, but do get nicely formatted contact info and other relevant info as that's where people know to look.

- Services Page: Beef up the descriptions of the services. If something needs more room, link that to another, more detailed sub-page. Search engines like depth, customers like to understand your offerings. "Lawn Renovation" is one such example as it's a really broad term. If your customers are educated, your customers will spend the money when they realize aerating, etc is necessary. To some visitors, the word "Dethatching" might as well say, "Floopflorp". If you don't explain what "Floopflorp" is, I'm just going to breeze past it.

- Mowing Page: I think what you're saying is that if I don't have a 36" gate, you won't service my lawn?

- Special Page: If you can, try to visually jazz those specials up a bit. It just has a very flat, "oh, and..." feel to it.

SEO: Since you've now read the SEO Guides...

- You realize that your TITLES are 50% too long

- Your META DESCRIPTIONs are very close, but you repeat your business name, taking up valuable room. (That may be a Weebly thing, but that's only a guess. Some builder's autopopulate from elsewhere in their system. If you didn't add the first business name "Cuts Up Lawn Care, LLC - Cuts Up Lawn Care- Full Service Lawn Care serving the Lee's Summit, Greenwood, and Lake Winnebago areas", then Weebly is adding that from their setup configuration.)

- META KEYWORDS, if Weebly doesn't auto create them for you, don't bother with taking the time to do them. The search engines haven't used them in a decade.

- Better Understand the role of the various H tags. H1, H2, etc

Yell if you need anything explained a bit more or run into a jam.

Last edited by tonygreek; 03-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think i can make it through alot of that, which i appreciate greatly by the way. i do have a question on the titles though, are you meaning like the titles of individual pages? or what shows up at the very top of screen in the web browser header? i had no idea there were length limits.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i know i've got a ton of research and work to do still on this whole thing, it seemed easier to get the advice early on while still planning rather than go back and redo everything
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just to add to Tony's great advice: get your on-site stuff as good as you can with the limitations that are built in to a drag-and-drop builder.

Then, proceed to citation and link building. I know from experience that you can overcome your on-site limitations with robust off-site efforts. PM when you get to that point if you need a little help.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've done some work to it and taken into account several of the suggestions on here. how's it look now? i know i've still got a ways to go. i've changed titles and a few other things recently, still can't seem to get very far with search engines.

what are the H1 and H2 tags and how do i go about them?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
what are the H1 and H2 tags and how do i go about them?
In my hour-long reply above, look at my #1 suggestion, go to Google's, page 20.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Logo is looking good Kinda blends into the green background though.

Take the SEO advice from these guys and keep reading and studying on how to get your ranking up. It will make a huge impact on the number of leads you get. You won't need door hangers, flyers and all that other expensive, time consuming stuff and it will work for you 24 hours a day. Sent you a p.m.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino