Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I personally call it the discharge chute but whatever you call it I personally don't recommend taking it off no matter what mower you have unless your going to put a bagger, mulch kit or OCDC in place each and every time you mow.

not only does the discharge chute aide in spreading clippings it's a safety device to prevent debris from being thrown though a window or at someone. take off the safety device and launch a rock through a window or child's head and you'll soon be sorry.

I run exmarks and toros personally. but as I said what brand of mower doesn't matter.

that's my $0.02.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I had my deflector break off of my last mower. I had to finish out the rest of the day without it. Worst experience ever. It seemed like every blade of grass blew up from the deck and straight into my face.
2010 21inch honda personal pace
Echo bp 770t
Echo 250ln
Echo gt225
Echo srm225
Echo hc155
All tools and ppe needed to cut lawns
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If the trailer is 6'(72 inches) why are the cables only 60.5 inches apart.
Trailer specs are outside dimensions. That 6" on each side is easily consumed by the rear framing.

1" on each side is not ideal especially when the ramp gets wet.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There is no question about better clipping cover with my JD 717A, 7 Iron deck, with the deflector down, or partially down. I never run with it fully up (same as having taken it off).

In normal cutting (whatever that means), I run with it fully down. However, in heavy cutting (typically Spring, on very good lawns), clipping cover is a little better with the tip pulled up an inch or two. I use a light chain, and hook to make the adjustments (and to hold it in the full upright position for transport).

I use OEM high-lift blades, on cool weather grasses.

I work with forward/reverse passes, never racetrack. With the deflector off, the outcome is a good windrow at about 4 feet out. With the deflector fully down, some clippings are left in the first four feet, while others are thrown out to the 8 ft mark. With the deflector up, little debris is left in that first 4 ft. In the down position, the discharge force is more concentrated for further throw, but also will make the discharge path close to the ground, leaving some in that first 4 ft. With the deflector up, the discharge is much more of a spray, with too much force too high. In other words, the velocity vectors are scattered, rather than concentrated.

Maybe your cutting conditions are different. But, I consider it a mistake to take it off the 7 Iron deck.
I agree with your first post in that it makes a difference in which machine you have, and that you should try it both ways to see for yourself.

JD says the cover being down spreads the clippings more evenly. That all depends on the entire machine- blades, engine HP, width of deck etc etc.

I have owned a ton of JD's over the years. Some work better with the cover down, some do not.

MY Z720 (same as the OP's with bigger deck and engine) worked a little better with the deflector down. MY Z950 with the MOD deck works better with it off. The MOD has a side discharge cover built into the machine that raises and lowers depending on whether the MOD is open or closed, so it acts sort of like the deflector anyway. I tried it both with the deflector down and with it up before I finally took it off completely. Under normal circumstances, it made little difference, but if the clippings were longer, then having it in the up position was much better.

The point is, try it both ways and determine what's best on your lawns, with the blades you normally run (the OEM's on the 710's are std lift), then decide if you would be better off without it.

As far as it being able to deflect a stick or rock, I call BS on that, because I always left it down on my Z720 and I still threw several sticks quite a ways with it. Just as far as when I had it in the up position trying it to see how the clipping dispersal was.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Trailer specs are outside dimensions. That 6" on each side is easily consumed by the rear framing.

1" on each side is not ideal especially when the ramp gets wet.
Thanks, I only run the open 6.4 trailers and need the extra four inches.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If the trailer is 6'(72 inches) why are the cables only 60.5 inches apart.
The cables at 60.5 is about right .
I have 6x12 cargo trailer with ramp door . The door opening is 63'' so my mower deck is 61'' cut but it is 62.5'' wide so to clear the cables I made a wood brace to pull the cables out of the way for loading and unloading .Has for the discharge chute all I do is tie it down when it's in the trailer.

I can get a pic. if you like.

Last edited by crazyflyboy30; 03-05-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what I really don't understand is why just raising the chute doesn't work. my chute raises completely to where the widest part of the mower is the actual end of the deck. I thought most mowers are that way.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
what I really don't understand is why just raising the chute doesn't work. my chute raises completely to where the widest part of the mower is the actual end of the deck. I thought most mowers are that way.
It might on Exmark machines, but there are other brands (like Deere) where it doesn't. When you raise the deflector on a Deere, the side panels of the deflector still stick out past the end of the deck.

You can see it in this pic I took back when I had my Z720. The deflector is up as far as it will go here-
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you can't push it any more towards the deck?

I don't know. it's seriously not something I've ever looked into. for one thing mine don't have sides that stick out and the other I haven't looked into it is because having only an inch on each side when loading a mower is not a big deal to me.

be sure to stop over to the wax your mower thread with that pic cause it looks like you at least wash your mower.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Like I said in my last post, it's up as far as it'll go. The one on my Z950 is worse, and since it doesn't spread the clippings as well when it's down, I took it off altogether. I did leave that one on my Z720, because it actually did spread the clippings better when it was down. If you look, you can see the bunge cord holding it up. I just unhooked it and let it down and kept the cord in one of the little pockets on the mower until I was done.