Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New new newbbbbbbbb
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey shut up! lol. I've only been doing this for four years. Still got a lot to learn.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you want to dedicate 61% of your business to one person?

Ever heard of the saying "all your eggs in one basket"?
If not let me explain, your basket breaks and you are left with tons of rusting equipment with payments, rent to store it, employees to pay unemployment to....................

Then again IF your basket does not break you saved all that time spent finding more baskets, it's all about your risk tolerance level. If you can get 5 or so seasons out of it, use the income to fund further growth. Grow your business so those 50 only account for maybe 10% of your business. Downside, this guy drops you, you go bankrupt. Never done it myself but I have heard itís not that bad.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion I would not change what you are currently doing , what people promise and what they deliver is two different things , some of these houses will sell , if not foreclosures then you will be billing each owner of each property most likely , I started my business small and I was in with some realators Howard Hanna and a couple smaller ones but I use to do junk removal and all kinds of stuff for them , but nothing was as it seemed I got burned multiple times by the home owners etc , now this was about 7 years ago but I doubt things have changed much. Aditionally you should be able to handle this work load on your own , or maybe have a buddy help you one day a week with the difficult ones , by adding 50 EOW thats only 25 weekly visits and like I said I think you will get tired of the BS quickly but its a great avenue to get your feet wet , and that you will just hope you do not drown. If you cannot handle 50 to 60 decent weekly mow only accounts I am not shure you will be able to make alot of money in this business , You may want to look at your equipment and make shure you have the fastest most efficient set up as well , with the real estate lawns basically you just need to cut them and as fast as possible to make them look decent and move on. This is just my experience and good luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It would be worth considering your short and long term goals for your business and your college study/future career.

Also, is it worth delaying your study for the income now? There's no correct answer....it's just what fits best with your goals.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be worried what you are getting into. Realtors never tell you the whole story even when working for you either selling or buying property.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like others have stated, you should be very careful what you decide.

As someone with a good deal of business experience, I would think twice about this so called great opportunity. Why has someone all of a sudden contacted you, and you only? Do they know you are only part time and maybe think they can take advantage of you?

I am not trying to burst your bubble, but I dont want to read half way through this coming cutting season that you lost your shirt on this deal.

I would never go out and buy equipment just for a deal that involved only 1 other party (remember, it might be 50 properties, but they are controlled by 1 realator!) And then thinking of hiring a crew to take this deal on. I think you should walk away from this, you might lose the chance to make money, but you might also save your shirt, you can grow too quickly, also the notion of taking time off from college to cut grass, that is crazy......just my 2 cents
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't alter your school schedule at all. Just find the extra time needed to get them all done. I'd suggest getting a friend or part timer to run with you one day a week and knock out as many of them as you can with some help one day a week. The bump in income might seem great but it can go away just as quickly as it fell in your lap. Remember that. I'd only purchase or make longer term decisions based on what you truly believe you will be needing for the future. Don't buy something now before you have even cut one of these lawns that you don't think you would need anyway a year or two from now regardless of whether you are still cutting these realtor lawns. ANd my last point is this... If you are working for a real estate company, take pictures. Pictures with time stamps, or cell phone pictures that you can email to whoever will be in charge of paying you for the work at the end of each day. This is way less for them and way more for your benefit to CYA. You say they should just trust you... I'm saying you need to trust a realty company as far as you can throw their office building.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's why i said just try it. this way there is no risk at all.

don't go buy new equipment or anything. if it doesn't work you just go back to what you were already doing and no loss at all.

don't count on the money and start buying new equipment and hiring a crew or anything.

if they wanna pay you once a month or something tell them they have to pay you at the first of the month before you do anything. tell them you can't go cut 60 yards without getting paid a dime. tell them all of the expenses that are involved cutting 60 yards like gas, blades, trimmer line, etc. etc.

accept nothing less than getting paid upfront that way you don't go cut 60 yards for free because they don't pay in time or anything like that.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too many what ifs from every one here. Find a way to stay in school or go partime. Get a system in place to effiectly service all your new jobs and give it a try. Just get a good written contract in hand on the deal with a payment schedule and go for it. Sounds like it could be a good opportunity possibly! If it doesnt work good in a month or two just give it up. Sounds like you got a good head on our shoulders