Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Plastic pavers!

So I got a call from the local Azek sales rep last week. He wanted to show me a new paver. Since it's still winter up here I agreed to meet him at my shop the next day. Well check out this product.

http://vastpavers.com/

It's literally rubber/plastic. I have a few samples. They are ugly as sin but I do see a market for them particularly in rooftop applications. They make a thin model that is light and would work good up there. Other than that, I don't see much use for these things. Maybe LEED credits.

Oh yeah, they are $9 a square foot! He recommended NOT using poly sand or sealers for joint sand so that's a negative too. They require same base prep as concrete pavers.

Check it out. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Particularly if you used this product in the past.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wouldn't work for me, my guys smoke while they're working and it will burn a hole in them.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wonder how slick they would be when wet being plastic.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I requested the samples a while back, maybe '08 or '09. It's a neat product. Between the cost and the unusual look I think you're most likely to see them specified for jobs where the client is trying to get LEED credits. They're something like 95% recycled content and can be installed as a permeable product so they're good for that. I haven't really pushed them because as mentioned the price is a factor, but also because I haven't seen it installed in person. I'll take a chance on an oddball funky stone or concrete paver, but I really want to see what 10,000 sq ft of these looks like.

I'm pretty sure University of Chicago was one of the big install sites. We need a Chi-town member of Lawnsite to go check it out and report back.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Sprinkler Buddy, there is a pretty rough texture to them. It reminds me of the most aggresive composite decking surfaces but without the wood look.

Zedo, I know you were joking but they do turn black if burned and even when you cut it.

Paper, they probably have a 20 mile per hour speed limit on them. Don't go slower than 20 mph when you drive by them or they will look pretty funky.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to think they still look better than those stupid Nicolock pavers where it looks like someone vomited fingerpaint on a paver
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Aunt and Uncle's next door neighbors installed those under their back deck a couple years ago. It looked horrible. When I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle for christmas this year, I noticed they had poured a concrete pad under the deck and got rid of the "pavers". It made me chuckle...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Azek rep dropped off a sample a few months ago here at the office, after a few chuckles with co-workers I tossed them.

Years back i got a sample of a plastic retaining wall block. Unbelievable.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny we just met with he sales rep for these yesterday....

Here are my issues.
1. Ugly 4x8 is your only option
2. Can't do curves very well. Requires glueing pavers down
3. Cost is ridiculously high. When you compare other 4x8 pavers can be under $2/sq.ft.
4. Apparently they discolor/fade quickly.

Not my cup of tea at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So is the AZEK rep trying to sell these for a residential market? Because that's not the market. This is a product for government and big commercial sites who want to say "Look at how green we are! We're awesome because look what we did for LEED credits!"

Every homeowner who has ever approached me about these because of the sustainability issues has heard the price and gone "heyyyy, these Coventry pavers are pretty nice too, maybe I'll just send an extra hundred bucks to the Sierra Club and call it good."