Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
my truck was 20k tax and all brand new. payments of $350 a month.

you don't need a 40k diesel truck to mow grass. that's complete overkill.

i know this is where everyone goes off about how they pull bulldozers on flat bed trailers and do snow removal and yadda yadda yadda. none of that is lawn care. it's a different area altogether. construction and snow plowing are not the same thing as cutting grass. just because you cut grass too doesn't make it part of the same industry. just clairifying that. not all of us do snow removal or construction or hardscaping jobs.

even if you are doing a complete lawn renovation the place where you buy the grass will deliver it to the site for you.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
A 40 k truck costs 40 k whether you pay cash or finance at 0 percent. If someone is buying more than they can afford, they haven't been tricked, theyre an idiot. And since when can you buy a new truck for 20 grand?
$40 G is $40 G unless there is interest on the loan. Then that $40 G truck cost $50 G.

April 2011 my brother bought a Silverado 1500 reg cab, 4.8 v8, 4wd, $26,000.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
$40 G is $40 G unless there is interest on the loan. Then that $40 G truck cost $50 G.

Y'all are totally missing the point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
my truck was 20k tax and all brand new. payments of $350 a month.

you don't need a 40k diesel truck to mow grass. that's complete overkill.

i know this is where everyone goes off about how they pull bulldozers on flat bed trailers and do snow removal and yadda yadda yadda. none of that is lawn care. it's a different area altogether. construction and snow plowing are not the same thing as cutting grass. just because you cut grass too doesn't make it part of the same industry. just clairifying that. not all of us do snow removal or construction or hardscaping jobs.

even if you are doing a complete lawn renovation the place where you buy the grass will deliver it to the site for you.
My mowing trucks average 20-25 thousand miles a yr, all of it pulling several thousand lbs. that is absolutely an environment that is suited for a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

I would never buy a 1500 for work.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Y'all are totally missing the point.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with your point, it is harder to lay down the cash on big purchases when you dont finance. It makes you really evaluate your decisions, because of how hard it is to accumalate cash.

I run 4-5 crews and everything is paid off, from my 4 mini skids, 30k taki, isuzu nprs, 5500s, 5 vrides.. hell even my office/shop is paid off. It really makes things a little less stressful.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I agree with your point, it is harder to lay down the cash on big purchases when you dont finance. It makes you really evaluate your decisions, because of how hard it is to accumalate cash.

I run 4-5 crews and everything is paid off, from my 4 mini skids, 30k taki, isuzu nprs, 5500s, 5 vrides.. hell even my office/shop is paid off. It really makes things a little less stressful.
Right and for those who argue cash flow... The arguement doesn't really have any substance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
My mowing trucks average 20-25 thousand miles a yr, all of it pulling several thousand lbs. that is absolutely an environment that is suited for a diesel.

I would never buy a 1500 for work.
I agree you do need at least a 2500 for mowing and mulch.

And if you are so big why not use a landscaping truck ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There should of been an extra few words in the title of this thread. It should have said those with a business operation with employees and did you or how did you use debt to grow your business. This site has been completely over run with weekend warriors and high school kids who "pay cash for my used mower." In order to grow in this industry where profit margins are relatively small one usually has to borrow. There is a balancing act between how much debt one can incur and how much is needed to grow. Why respond to a thread about using debt in your business if you are in highschool and dont have any credit?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandscaping View Post
There should of been an extra few words in the title of this thread. It should have said those with a business operation with employees and did you or how did you use debt to grow your business. This site has been completely over run with weekend warriors and high school kids who "pay cash for my used mower." In order to grow in this industry where profit margins are relatively small one usually has to borrow. There is a balancing act between how much debt one can incur and how much is needed to grow. Why respond to a thread about using debt in your business if you are in highschool and dont have any credit?

Your right but it is pretty entertaining reading.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandscaping View Post
I'm not really a weekend warrior. I have 43 weekly accounts. Not a lot really but I think you saying debt is required in this business is silly at best.

Not saying its wrong or anything. Nobody is mad at anyone for having debt. Just two very different business models. Used equipment doesnt make someone any less professional or cause poor workmanship.

I buy equipments in the winter when those weekend warriors can no longer afford theirs.

When I go to purchase a shop I'll more than likely have to borrow. But borrowing for mowers and even trucks in some cases is silly.
Posted via Mobile Device