Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

when i bought mine they only charged me 2% sales tax. the normal rate here is 8%. some kind of agricultural discount and i'm not a farmer and i didn't fill out any paperwork.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought there was something I was suppose be able to do to get equipment cheaper but no dealer has ever asked me for anything or offered me anything.

the place I buy my salt and seed from give me whole sale price. had to fill out some paper that I had to give my tax id number on.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are supposed to report anything you buy out of state and pay sales tax for your home state as you did transaction from your home. There is a new sales tax enforcement team that are using ebay accounts and other online sources to find and get there money and fines from these people. I recommend paying taxes then getting write off even if your a farmer they say a mower isnt farm equipment. If you mow your yard with mower its personal property not for 100% farm use. Believe me my buddies are getting burned all around me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've never paid tax on anything i've bought online out of state in my life.

i've never made a large purchase out of state in my life either though like a car, mower, house, etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like I said, its not a secret what most are doing in my area. We live near ky and indiana but live in ohio. None of the locals in my area are buying from our home state. Just to much savings.

By the way, buy it and not get taxed, then wright it off!!!!! LOL

I don't blame ppl for trying it. Your talking 1000s in savings.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I recommend paying taxes then getting write off even if your a farmer they say a mower isnt farm equipment. If you mow your yard with mower its personal property not for 100% farm use. Believe me my buddies are getting burned all around me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Disagree...... Im no tax expert by any means but My family is just about all farmers hence why I griped above about them getting breaks on it seems like EVERYTHING! My grandfather and uncles wright off EVERY mower they have ever bought and my uncles have both been audited. They were questioned about the mowers they wrote off asking if they were used to mow anything else but at the farm and the answer is no. As long as the answer is no they wright off the mowers. Now they are mowing more than just the farms but there modo is "prove it"............. I don't blame them, but on the other hand they already get breaks on everything else. It pisses me off how much they get in breaks.

If you don't believe me check this out. I have investments at Edward Jones investments and was just in for my yearly "hows my money doin"...... The fella that takes care of my money brought up this issue and said it burns him up to see what all they get away with. He brought up one of his investers "a farmer" that grossed right at 450,000 this past year and paid in 4,000 bucks........ He giggled and said "hell I paid that in my first quarter, but didnt make near $450,000 last year". Hell up until 2 years ago the gov paid my uncle 2,800 bucks per year to NOT grow tobacco!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
You are supposed to report anything you buy out of state and pay sales tax for your home state as you did transaction from your home. There is a new sales tax enforcement team that are using ebay accounts and other online sources to find and get there money and fines from these people. I recommend paying taxes then getting write off even if your a farmer they say a mower isnt farm equipment. If you mow your yard with mower its personal property not for 100% farm use. Believe me my buddies are getting burned all around me...
Posted via Mobile Device
how many people actually report it when they buy something online at all. ebay, amazon, apple, any online store.

one of two things will happen with this new team I think. they will find it EXTREMELY hard to track down enough people for anyone to really get scared and actually start reporting what they buy out of state.

or if they are successful they will bring down the online market.

personally if I'm gonna pay taxes on EVERYTHING I buy I'm gonna make sure I buy EVERYTHING local. and if I can't find something local I'll do without it.

who actually keeps track of everything they purchased in a years time out of state. you know how much that could be. food and gas from vacations, that computer you ordered online this year. those shoes you found on ebay. that DVD you ordered from amazon. the list gets HUGE over the course of a year.

sorry to get off track.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my state sales tax is due even if the vendor doesn't charge it. I don't know how they would enforce it though. I also have to pay personal property tax on all of my tools and equipment every year.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

exactly, how is a tax enforcement team going to enforce some of the taxes people are suppose to pay. for it to be effective everyone has to pay it. and I don't see how a large enough team could enforce the entire united states let alone have enough hours in the day to track down every purchase every single citizen made and didn't pay taxes on.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CT was considering legislation that woud require out of state and mail order vendors to collect CT sales tax for all purchases by CT residents. I don't know if it passed or not, but that would require that the vendors all have a CT sales & use tax permits and collect the tax for the state...kind of a pain on their end.