Register free!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco 17-0-7 WeednFeed w/penoxsulam for St. Augustine

Just bought a bag of this at home depot...went online to their website and there are 6 reviews...all 1 star. People saying it killed their lawn. Is this a bad product?

Also bought Vigoro weednfeed 29-0-4
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This source says it is fine on most warm-season grasses, including st Augustine.
"Last week, I found another weed and feed available to homeowners, a 17-0-7 fertilizer from Lesco called LockUp, with the active ingredient penoxsulam. It gives post-emergence weed control. The great thing about it is that it is labeled for all four warm season grasses, and it can be applied year-round (except for dormant centipede) to a wet or dry lawn."

http://chronicle.augusta.com/life/ho...izer-herbicide

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-05-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please read that post that Riggs sent: While 2,4-D mixtures can be used on all four of our warm season grasses, avoid its use on St. Augustine and centipede during spring green-up, but use it before late spring and early summer.
Have no experience with Penoxsulam but think it is associated with aquatic vegetation control--Maybe/maybe not. Be careful, certain chemicals will fry Centipede, especially the 2,4-D and Dicambia.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Riggs:
That a good informative report. Thanks for posting it to anyone dealing with warm seasoned turf. The part about Atrazine should be noted also as I've warned many guys about how it moves so laterally in the soil.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks so much for the responses guys. especially riggs! this is why I love lawnsite...and abundance of knowledgeable and helpful people! Great article. So it seems I'm probably good to go with the lesco stuff. The HD reviews were concerning, that's all. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

People I know who used LockUp, experienced much better results applying it to wet foliage or when wet. The label may even suggest it for better results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, it does in fact say that about the grass preferably being wet
Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Penoxsulam is another ALS inhibitor. Its spectrum of weed control and mode of action is similar to Celsius or metsulfuron. Difference is that it will work if applied on granular fertilizer. I do believe it does move a little in the soil, but only enough to reach weed roots. Cool season grasses are not as tolerant of penoxsulam as warm season grasses. Rate limit of 0.02 lbs per acre. A cool season blend needs to have lots of 2,4-D and dicamba in it to tone it down, as well as work on the weeds.

My definition of folly is spraying atrazine or simazine on pure sand in a high rainfall area. For one thing, under those circumstances trees and shrubs are not safe. Secondly, it is almost guaranteed that those chemicals will leach down to ground water. Especially if the weather pattern is a 2-5" thunderstorm every single afternoon from June to October. This leaching hazard is yet another reason why I will not touch an irrigated lawn where the property owner insists on controlling the irrigation. People do set controllers to put down close to an inch per day when only an inch or so per week is needed.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do not know anything about this product or have never even heard of it, so I will not comment on the product it self.

What I would like to comment on is the fact that when home owners start bashing things it runs up a red flag to me. Too many times have I heard "this stuff is worthless" or "that stuff killed my grass" when the truth is that misapplication was really to blame.

Mr X
"I put this stuff on my lawn like the instructions said but now my grass is dying"

Mr Pro
"Ok, so you used this much and did it this way"

Mr X
"yes"

Mr Pro
"Well that should not be the problem. Did you do anything else recently?"

Mr X
" Yes, a couple of weeks ago [generally means 8-10 days] I used this other stuff just like instructions said but it was not doing anything, so I went back and got this stuff"

Well ding ding ding we have a winner
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdown View Post
Just bought a bag of this at home depot...went online to their website and there are 6 reviews...all 1 star. People saying it killed their lawn. Is this a bad product?

Also bought Vigoro weednfeed 29-0-4
No offense intended but if you are a licensed professional why are you using a "weed & feed" homeowner product?