Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Well today I picked up my new mower. I went ahead and purchased the Exmark 30 with the mulching kit for under 1900 bucks AFTER tax AND a 4 year w/no interest plan. I know, I know...shoulda paid cash, but it just wasnt in the cards and I couldnt pass up this deal. I didnt get a chance to use it yet, but as we head into this season, I'll put updates in here as I get to use it over time and different conditions for others to read.

After finally getting my hands on it, i was surprised that it doesnt FEEL to much heavier than my honda 21. I'm sure it weighs more, but its balanced fairly well. It will require more effort in the turns, and pulling it backwards when necessary, but overall my first impression is a positive one, and it appears to be built very well. Time will tell on how well it performs, so subsribe if you like, and I'll try to post a few updates in here as we go through the seasons, and different conditions. Because I purchased the mulch kit, i can also compare the bagging, vs stock blades mulching vs Mulching bladees and baffle installed.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed. Iam looking for a mower in that size range. Not sure if I want the toro/xmark 30" or a true 32" wb. After looking at the toro it was cumbersome to turn. Not sure there would be much time savings over my sr4 in tight areas where maneuverability is a concern. But for narrow gated fenced in backyards this would be a winner. If this mower will eliminate a need for a pushmower on my route I will get one. If it will not double as my pushmower I will be better off getting a true 32" wb which will have a much larger engine, faster ground speed and easier to turn. Being able to switch between mulching, bagging and side discharge quickly is a major consideration in favor of the xmark/Toro. The rear bagging capability is nice too. Eliminating the need to purchase and haul around another metal bagger in the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the hp on these mowers? while exmark gives a few detail on specs toros website gives u absolutely zero info on specs or anything beyond basic info.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

I have the home version. It's by far our favorite mower.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Subscribed. Iam looking for a mower in that size range. Not sure if I want the toro/xmark 30" or a true 32" wb. After looking at the toro it was cumbersome to turn. Not sure there would be much time savings over my sr4 in tight areas where maneuverability is a concern. But for narrow gated fenced in backyards this would be a winner. If this mower will eliminate a need for a pushmower on my route I will get one. If it will not double as my pushmower I will be better off getting a true 32" wb which will have a much larger engine, faster ground speed and easier to turn. Being able to switch between mulching, bagging and side discharge quickly is a major consideration in favor of the xmark/Toro. The rear bagging capability is nice too. Eliminating the need to purchase and haul around another metal bagger in the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
I too struggled with 32 WB or this mower, but decided on this one for reasons you mentioned above. While im testing this mower, I will be sure to evaluate its "trim mower" capability, to see if it can truely replace the 21. I run a honda hrc also, so if I can finish these lawns using only the 30, that will be the true test. The 30 does seem a bit cumbersome to turn, but we shall see. Ill be trying it out initally today, on some dry and dormant St Augustine. The customer wants me to come over and level it out in preperation for the coming season, and take care of some weeds within the lawn.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's another thread on here about them, it's about the Toro, but same difference aside from the control bail and the front of the machine/height adjusters.

I bought the Exmark the other day. Of course no grass to mow yet, snow is just finally going away. I'm amazed by how easy it is to maneuver, at least in my garage. The front end is NOT much heavier, if at all, than most 21" commercial mowers. Only downfalls I see are the blades with the notches cut out of them, the 1 speed transmission, and the size of the catcher. I wish they could have put one on it that holds about 1 bushel more. As for the transmission, I wish it did have gears, but then again just like the 21" models, 2nd is usually too slow and 3rd is too fast so I'd end up running in 3rd all the time and feathering the bail to adjust the speed anyway.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
I too struggled with 32 WB or this mower, but decided on this one for reasons you mentioned above. While im testing this mower, I will be sure to evaluate its "trim mower" capability, to see if it can truely replace the 21. I run a honda hrc also, so if I can finish these lawns using only the 30, that will be the true test. The 30 does seem a bit cumbersome to turn, but we shall see. Ill be trying it out initally today, on some dry and dormant St Augustine. The customer wants me to come over and level it out in preperation for the coming season, and take care of some weeds within the lawn.
Keep us posted. If this mower is not agile enough to double as a trim mower it will be of no use to me as I will have to bring a pushmower anyway. If this is the case iam better off with a 32 wb for my fenced in yards where the grandstand will not fit and throwing a 21" in the pick up bed for my trim mower. The downfall of a true 32" wb is its ability to be a trim mower. Even though we all hate pushmowers sometimes it is the right tool for the job. I have a cluster of homes in one development where 4 of them have very small and steep front yards. I can use a bigger mower but a pushmower is actually faster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the horsepower on the engine? also is the bag smaller than the one on the toro? toro bag seems prety large.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

KAW's website doesn't even list the HP.
They show an FJ180V and an FJ180V KAI.

The ExMark website lists their engine as the FJ180V KAI.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased an Exmark 30 last week. It hasn't left the garage since. Hopefully the snow will melt and I can play with it a bit. I paid 1700.