Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Staying organized. How do YOU do it?

We are picking up customers and a pretty good clip this year, and I have to say that my biggest problem is staying organized. For those of you that run multiple crews or 200+ accounts (doesn't matter which type), How do YOU personally stay organized. How do you make sure every customer is taken care of all the time. This will be my first year where I attempt to make it out of the field.

Any advice you can offer to staying organized?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We're in the same boat we're picking up a lot more landscaping work this year, which is really what I wanted anyway, one thing I'm going to do is run a separate checking account one for maint and one for installs, so I can keep a better handle on the funds and know where we are all the time on each side of the business, we use dry erase boards for scheduling and keeping track of where we are on each job, each customer has their own folder that gets started when they sign a contract and gets put on the board for scheduling from that point on all job costing is tracked and all material receipts are kept in their folder, once the job is completed and closed out we go back and look at what we projected the job at and what it actually came in at, from there we adjust our bidding process for the next job. I eventually want to go to a computerized system for the whole process but we're not quite there yet.My move to a smart phone has helped tremendously this year, I am way behind on all the techy stuff but every time I move in that direction I wonder why I waited so long LOL
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very similar to CPLlawncare above, but computers! Smart phones in each truck, track projects, times on job sites, any materials etc. Requests from customers can be immediately entered on the phone and assigned to the correct person. Extra jobs get entered on the scheduling system with a deadline and automatically pop up as suggestions when there is room in the schedule. VERY hard to stay organized....but less paper and more electronic records helps a HUGE amount. I can't imagine how much harder it would have been years ago before computers and cell phones and everything. The shop is what gets disorganized the fastest for me - working on that this year. We are also changing EVERYONE over to Email Invoicing. (of course if they do not have an email such as some elderly people we will accommodate). That alone will make invoicing each month a snap - one button. Cutting back on ink, paper, envelopes, time folding and stuffing, postage. etc...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

These are all great guys, keep them coming. I'll have to admit, I am actually scared at getting out of the field. I'm hoping that alone will give me the time to stay organized. The seperate accounts is a great idea. We already have different accounts mainly for expenses, never though of a seperate one for income. Qb does a good job of tracking that for us now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also mention having a "chain of command" and assigning responsibilities to each "link in the chain". Delegation can be difficult, but must happen.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to life....... Glad ya got here...

Most working men. our biggers hurdle is. there is only 24 hours in 1 day.

and we have to spend at least 3 to 4 of those hours unproductive.
in the summer time I think I have never sleep more than 3 hours. in the last 27 years.....
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Very similar to CPLlawncare above, but computers! Smart phones in each truck, track projects, times on job sites, any materials etc. Requests from customers can be immediately entered on the phone and assigned to the correct person. Extra jobs get entered on the scheduling system with a deadline and automatically pop up as suggestions when there is room in the schedule. VERY hard to stay organized....but less paper and more electronic records helps a HUGE amount. I can't imagine how much harder it would have been years ago before computers and cell phones and everything. The shop is what gets disorganized the fastest for me - working on that this year. We are also changing EVERYONE over to Email Invoicing. (of course if they do not have an email such as some elderly people we will accommodate). That alone will make invoicing each month a snap - one button. Cutting back on ink, paper, envelopes, time folding and stuffing, postage. etc...
What software do you use?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Disclaimer: I am just starting out, but was interested in this thread since I have ALWAYS had a problem of staying organized.

I have found that having my phone and laptop at my shop sycned automatically does help a LOT. Also the app dropbox for MAC/PC/iPhone (not sure about Android) is a great way to publish something for everyone to see such as a master service list or anything you need to get out that isnt urgent but should be seen at some point.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
What software do you use?
Kind of hesitate to recommend them, but Service Autopilot. They have a LOT of great features that they are introducing, but also quite a few bugs that they are still "ironing out". It's a big system and a little time consuming to learn and setup but once integrated it's great.

Jason