Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As amazing as this seems, I still don't think we have broke freezing yet. After being fooled into covering plants three times, I almost fell for it again. I said the heck with it. Once again, no damage. Almost every time the temp plummets to 34 then stalls and begins to rise a little before falling again just before sunrise.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had frost the last two mornings, yesterday morning being the worst and I think my plants made it o.k with the help of irrigation, I almost covered everything up last night but I kept an eye on the dew point. Dew point temperature usually tells how far the temp is going to drop. My actual temps went down to 32 degrees the other night and 34 last night. Nice day today but back to cold again until friday. Crazy!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Different kind of Winter/Spring, lawns are burned again due to frost but even my Crotons, Dwarf Powderpuff, Spaths etc. are fine and were not covered.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslawn89 View Post
I had frost the last two mornings, yesterday morning being the worst and I think my plants made it o.k with the help of irrigation, I almost covered everything up last night but I kept an eye on the dew point. Dew point temperature usually tells how far the temp is going to drop. My actual temps went down to 32 degrees the other night and 34 last night. Nice day today but back to cold again until friday. Crazy!
When I checked last night after midnight, North Port was colder than Ocklawaha in Marion county. So were Belle Glade and Fort Pierce. Some years we get it. We'll be colder than other areas by 4-6 degrees. Not this year. Other than some smoked Poinsettias in one neighborhood, I haven't seen any real freeze damage in about 24 months.

I covered my tomatoes a couple times back in January, but not since. Two got burned by frost, but the others are fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keith

I dont know what it is in my area, but the times when it gets really cold, I can walk from my front yard to my back yard and can feel the colder temperature change on my skin. My in-laws live about 3 or 4 miles away from me and not as cold there. I'm not sure if its from all the tall pine trees they have surrounding their property or what. They had very little frost the last two day, while I got some.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if it's because of your elevation of 18 feet while for instance North Cranberry to the north of you is @ 43 feet. I have noticed that your low temps are similar to mine even though I am further inland. My elevation here is 44 ft.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We do a lot of work in one general area about 4 miles from home. Some years that neighborhood will get freeze and frost damage repeatedly. It will often be 28-29 degrees there when it's just above freezing right down the road. It's not an area you would expect to be cold. Sits up slightly above a lake. Really close to town. Definitely not an outlying area. Then other years, like this one and last, it's consistently been warmer than other areas, even closer to town. And it almost always mirrors temps at my own house, 4 miles away.

It's like the summer when you can't buy a rainstorm. It rains all around you, but you don't get any of it. Then other years you get the rain and areas around you don't get anything. It doesn't alternate. It's not like luck of the draw where you get it today, they get it tomorrow. When you fall into one of those patterns, it can hold for months sometimes.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I wonder if it's because of your elevation of 18 feet while for instance North Cranberry to the north of you is @ 43 feet. I have noticed that your low temps are similar to mine even though I am further inland. My elevation here is 44 ft.
Lower areas are more prone to having colder air settling in. But ground moisture and surrounding bodies of water will help keep an area from freezing. Example is water front canal property in my area that generally doesn't freeze. One of the Methods I used when I had my Nursery was to water heavy before an expected freeze. Water holds heat longer than air. As the air gets colder it sucks the Heat out of water and stays just a hair warmer. In a light frost, running overhead irrigation help keep ornamental plants from Freezing. As the weather gets colder the irrigation water freezes and burns the Plant with soft leaves. Hard leave plants are more resistant to freezing, but the hard leaf soft leaf is not always universal with Freezing. Some plants are more cold hardy than others.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are supposed to get a light frost tonight. I covered a bunch of ornamentals I installed this weekend. Start tomorrow with 3 layers and should be down to a t-shirt by lunch.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Light frost forecast here as well, the weather this (Spring) has been a bit different