Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Cleaning radiator fins on john deere 900's

Do you guys clean out the way deere says to in book. They say to pull shroud out and remove fuel pump, and air cleaner. Two year old mower have always just blown off from outside.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you use your mower commercially, you should follow their advice at least once a year, and twice is better. I blow mine off after every single use, not just each day. It saves having to go through all the monkey motion in the manual twice a year. I also wash mine every couple weeks, which helps wash the dust from under the cowling too, then I use my biggest BP to blow dry the entire machine, including down through the screen and under the cowling. It has stayed very clean that way.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i blow mine off after every cut. i blow down inside the fan part. i've removed the fan shroud after every season and blew it out but it's hardly anything under there since i keep it blown out good all year long.

i think checking it every 100hrs is overkill. i would remove it and check it every 250hrs.

also i never cut in the rain. if you cut in the rain the water and dust mix making mud which sticks in between the cooling fins under the shroud. if you mow in the rain you should check it every 100hrs.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont blow it off everytime but at least twice a week. Took it all apart like book says at today with 325 hours, very little came out.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you seldom have to mow in very dusty conditions, you normally don't get too much under there. The dust from dry conditions and/or leaves can make a mess under the cowling if you get any moisture under there at the same time though. Just something to remember.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wish they had a better way of attaching the shroud though. it's like 10 screws or something? i broke one of them off the first time i did it by tightening it too hard when i put it back together.

my dad's mower has a kohler engine. it is open on the bottom so anything that gets into the fan just falls out of the bottom of the shroud.