Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Path light options

Does anyone have an alternative idea to conventional path lights. I have a client that does not want path lighting fearing her dogs will knock them down or worse get hurt running over them. Looking for something low profile. The only one I found is from Progress Lighting and its not LED. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe you could use level 2 lighting to light the path. It's also a creative way to light it. Light something nearby to give it that level 2 light effect.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipfert View Post
Does anyone have an alternative idea to conventional path lights. I have a client that does not want path lighting fearing her dogs will knock them down or worse get hurt running over them. Looking for something low profile. The only one I found is from Progress Lighting and its not LED. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
I think a dog is more likely to get hurt if the path light is very low - harder to see if the dog is looking up.

If a path light is good and properly installed it won't get knocked down.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could also consider some sturdy, decorative steel bollards:
www.attractionlights.com

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Not exactly a path light but work well for lighting up walkways etc.

http://coppermoon.com/products/well_inground/cm-391.php
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Sponsor

1. Downlight where you can. Downlighting looks more natural, can illuminate a larger area, and balances all the uplighting. I prefer downlighting as a replacement for pathlights-- especially on things like driveways.

2. You can use fewer but taller path/area lights. Volts area lights arew 23-24" t (many manu's are 18"). The taller the stem and flater the shade the larger the illumination area. Eg our VOLT Max Spread area lights already illuminates a 16' diameter area and if you add a riser/extension to it you can increase that illuminatation area to over 20-25'. For the typical walkway yo can get away with just 2 pathlights that normally might require 5. Fewer pathlights = more natural look (and less money on fixtures also). Great solution for those that don't like the runway look some pathlights can create.

3. Instead of placing the area lights next to the path or walkway, put them inside the landscape bed hidden amongst the plants (or at least a few feet in from the walkway). Also stagger them for a more random appearence. In this way they are less noticeable, blend in more, less likely to be hit. When you do this it is best to use tall area lights. If you add a 12" riser to the Volt 24" area lights for a total of 36" in height you are usually above most shrubs and this option works well.

4. Don't use any path, area lights or downlights and use the ambiant lighting bouncing off nearby structures to illuminate the walkway area (it will be more subtle lighting)

Good Luck!

Alan
(813) 978-3700

LED Landscape Lighting
LED Outdoor Lighting
Low Voltage Transformers