Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Top dressing, does it help?

I was just wondering how much top dressing helps the lawn. I was hoping if I add a thin coat of good top soil once or twice a year, it will help get my lawn back in shape. Of coarse that is along with fertilizer and weed killer. What do you think?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good Topsoil is only good according to the amount of OM it contains... Add compost and ignore the mineral dirt unless you need a particular mineral dirt for a particular reason...
Beach Sand can be an excellent growing medium with an application of enough compost...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Good Topsoil is only good according to the amount of OM it contains... Add compost and ignore the mineral dirt unless you need a particular mineral dirt for a particular reason...
Beach Sand can be an excellent growing medium with an application of enough compost...
So you're saying forget the topsoil and just add compost? Do you know if a manure spreader would work well for spreading compost and possibly some soil?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Topsoil is only clay or sand with possible silt, but the key ingredient is always OM...

You already have clay or sand(or blend) so why would you want to add more that contains nominal amounts of OM, that may soon be gone... Adding OM only,,, makes the most sense and gives a fanastic bang for your buck...

What kind of sand/clay mixture are you starting with???
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe im the dummy here, but what is OM?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organic matter. The living part of the soil. I apply thin with a coal shovel and push broom. Don't try to level areas with it. A soil test will help tell what minerals you are deficient in as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organic matter is not best described as the 'living part of the soil' as much as it might be described as the feed of the soil and the flora that lives within it... Even fauna, such as earthworms, beetles and various microbes will be able to feed on the OM and release its potential in nutrients, to the soil...

Your best soils have an OM '%' of around 7.5% ,,, or more... IMO, if the OM is high enough it doesn't really what your soil's 'Texture' consists of... your plants will be doing excellently... Agree or not,, it's JMO...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Organic matter is not best described as the 'living part of the soil' as much as it might be described as the feed of the soil and the flora that lives within it... Even fauna, such as earthworms, beetles and various microbes will be able to feed on the OM and release its potential in nutrients, to the soil...

Your best soils have an OM '%' of around 7.5% ,,, or more... IMO, if the OM is high enough it doesn't really what your soil's 'Texture' consists of... your plants will be doing excellently... Agree or not,, it's JMO...
Ok so first things first, I guess I need to get my soil tested, and take it from there. I'll be back with the results.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can grow weeds--you can grow grass. Naturally, if you want dense top-quality baseball stadium-quality grass, it take major inputs, major smarts, mowers and irrigation.
A soil test is the place to begin, correct any deficiencies; fertilize(using slow release) and water on a regular basis. In a few years, you will grow your own organic matter as each year roots grow and die--adding to the organic matter. For top quality you need top-quality seed or preferably sod. Top dressing cannot substitute for nitrogen. Economy seed will never match a field planted from premium seed. You need density, dark green color, and disease resistance. Any seed must be suited to the climate and conditions. Shade may require a different type of grass.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If you can grow weeds--you can grow grass. Naturally, if you want dense top-quality baseball stadium-quality grass, it take major inputs, major smarts, mowers and irrigation.
A soil test is the place to begin, correct any deficiencies; fertilize(using slow release) and water on a regular basis. In a few years, you will grow your own organic matter as each year roots grow and die--adding to the organic matter. For top quality you need top-quality seed or preferably sod. Top dressing cannot substitute for nitrogen. Economy seed will never match a field planted from premium seed. You need density, dark green color, and disease resistance. Any seed must be suited to the climate and conditions. Shade may require a different type of grass.
Ok well I've got the mower and the irrigation. The smarts I guess I'll have to rely on you guys. Hey 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Getting a soil test soon, will get back to you with it. Thanks all