Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Opti-2 & mid-grade gas mixed @ 100:1 since 1983 and just can't understand why anyone would want to use any other ratio. Once one of my lawn maintenance crews mixed a batch of Opti-2 @ about 300:1 and called me to complain about equipment stopping instead of idling. I went to the job site and they had 8 pieces of 2 cycle equipment that would only run @ full throttle. One of the workers told me how he had mixed the fuel so we brought everything back to the shop, drained the fuel, replaced it with 100:1 and did not have any problems.

Use Opti-2 & mid-grade ethanol free gas mixed @ 100:1 and run the equipment @ full throttle. The harder you run it the better it will run. No one will ever go back to a richer mixture after running 100:1 for a few tanks.

We use this fuel/oil ratio as our shop fuel and it goes into hundreds of 2 and 4 cycle engines each year. We use truFuel in most of the new 2 cycle equipment we sell. If the customer is purchasing MotoMix with their new Stihl equipment we use that for start up.

Oldtimer
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
Hey folks

I run echo equipment, echo 2 stroke oil, and non-ethanol fuel. My trimmer and edger and even blower (not as much on the blower though) are always clogging up. Causing us to be slowed down during the work day due to equipment not running up to speed or stopping to clean out the exhaust. Running 50:1 mix.

Any ideas as to what we are doing to cause this? Or anything we should try to get these things to not clog up so much? Running without the muffler is SO loud and unprofessional sounding.
I run a lot of Echo and the exhaust side ports do clog but it I clean then once a year they are fine and we have high use. I also use Echo oil, about 4 months ago I started running Red Armour fro Shinduwa. I was present at the local shop when a bunch of trimmer were tore down that had run red armour. They were in great shape. Unfortunately the transfer ports also get clogged and you have to pull the head. ON the good new side I have not had any failure of hardware
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

We run all our two stroke on amsoil at 100:1 and the equipement runs like a scalded dog!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by american dream View Post
We run all our two stroke on amsoil at 100:1 and the equipement runs like a scalded dog!
Echo technical guys still don't think that is a good idea so I am sticking with them.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Had the same issue with our echo trimmers and blowers. After cleaning the exhaust ports on the heads of the blowers and mufflers on the trimmers we were back in business. Started running amsoil about 2 years at 80:1 and have had fewer issues with exhaust clogs.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson Landscape View Post
80:1 and have had fewer issues with exhaust clogs.
So why didn't you just reduce the amt of oil with the echo oil from 50 to 80? Reducing the amount of oil is definitely going to reduce build up. Now tell me how long the machine will run that way.....3 or 4 or 5 years?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

We switch because the amsoil became easier to get. The amsoil dealer suggested we run at 80:1 since our equipment had already been used. One blower is over 5 yrs old. The other 2 are 3 or 4. The two trimmers are going into there 4th season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2-cycle engines need to run at high rpms otherwise they clog up. i run opti 2 mix in all my stuff and try to run everything with almost full throttle.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if some brands/models just have carbon build up in the ports worse than others--nothing to base this on other than the equip I've maintained. One of my guys has run Kawasaki trimmers for several years--no guards, long line, run hard 5 & 6 days/week--almost no problems except stripped slines on shaft, and plugged exhaust ports by the bunches--I mean to the point they don't run (not one single carb problem). Runs various oil brands--not equip mfg. brands.

Another guy runs Shindaiwa 270's (about worn out)--run into the ground. No guards, long line, run hard, fuel cans with no caps--just run and abused. Have carb problems, but no exhaust port problems. This guy does run Shindaiwa oil.

It's got to be either the design of the equip., or the oil, or both!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi-

Like the others say, if not legally required in your area, I'd remove the spark screen. Also, while the Echo oil is good, it is not the most advanced. Try the Shindaiwa RedArmor Oil, (Also an Echo product) my Echo dealer stocks it. It actually cleans out the old carbon and varnish from inside the engine and muffler too. Just remember that spark screen if you keep it in, you will have to check it and clean it if you don't use a better oil.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/