Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Dry rotting trailer tires

One of our 16' trailers that was 2 years old had tires that were already dry rotting. It's parked outside in the elements at our yard, on gravel. Someone told me that if we park it on concrete, asphalt, or even a 2x10 vice gravel, that the tires won't dry rot nearly as fast? Is there any truth to that?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not too unusual. UV and overloading shorten tire life. I've parked on all the surfaces you mentioned. Indoors is the only improvement I've ever seen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. No truth. How often do you use it. Also, consider tire covers or a cheaper option is cut a sheet of ply on half and lean it on each side of your trailer in front of the tires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbrze View Post
One of our 16' trailers that was 2 years old had tires that were already dry rotting. It's parked outside in the elements at our yard, on gravel. Someone told me that if we park it on concrete, asphalt, or even a 2x10 vice gravel, that the tires won't dry rot nearly as fast? Is there any truth to that?
There is a product called Sun Bock for tires that supposedly works really well. I have it but have yet to use it. My trailer has been sitting in dirt for 4 years now and the tires are still like new. I can't imagine why gravel would be any worse than black top, if anything I think it would be the other way around considering the amount of heat the black top gives off.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep my trailer on 2x10's, 3 years still going strong

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lots of tires are now made in china junk ,there is nothing you can do with them .
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Armor-all helps wit the UV .
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbthims View Post
lots of tires are now made in china junk ,there is nothing you can do with them .
Couldn't agree more, the quality of LT, trailer and industrial tires has gone to shizz in this country. Michelins seem to be the last bastion of quality, but they don't cater much to our industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My last boss was a cheapskate that took it to a new level. So he managed to buy a 16ft trailer that had no business being on the road. It was shot chunks to steel would often break off as we drove and you would hear them clanking on the road behind you. So sometime around the year 2000 I'm driving this thing and I get a flat tire. Now this didn't seem unusual as we were at that time wasting 25 mins every morning filling up about 8 or so slow leaking tires through out his fleet. But I was a long ways from the shop so I took the trailer to a gas station and asked them to plug the tire. These tires came with his 300 dollar investment. Next thing I know the mechanic has called over the owner then the attendant then 2 others I don't know who they were. So I am perplexed I am looking at 5 guys standing in a circle all talking and laughing among themselves. I finally ask what is it they are looking at and the response was you see that son thats a L70 tire. I go ok what does that mean and the owner goes they haven't made them since the 70s your driving on 20 year old tires. Somehow I got them to plug it and my boss went another season before buying the cheapest set of tires he could find. And he wonders why I went out on my own. The cool thing is when ever I want to relive those days I need only go to Lowe's and bug him at his new career.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use the jacks that are mounted under the back tires of my enclosed trailor. Having them in the air seems to help.