Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How are these things on curbs?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maint is easier all around. Curbs should be avoided with any mower. I have little ramps I made from 8x8 for the occaisonal need. I wouldn't recommend jumping them. They have the power, its just rough on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard much bad about the stand ons. Is there anything that should make me shy away from going out to pick up 6 of them?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We ditched all our sit downs a few years ago. All the positive points have been made. I find that because the sales volume is not as high as other types that at least the ones we've had tend to be more problematic. I've had sit downs that went 2000 hrs and never got more than a set of tires, 2 belt changes, fluid, blade, and filter changes. I have not had a stander, Toro specifically that has been in the shop less than once a month all season. I have a love hate relationship with them. I would like to try a wright, but dealer support locally is poor. I am also interested in the new gravely models. I lost control of an original stander on a hill back in the 90's and dropped it 12' off a cliff, so I am weary of them already, but the grandstands sidehill great.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
We ditched all our sit downs a few years ago. All the positive points have been made. I find that because the sales volume is not as high as other types that at least the ones we've had tend to be more problematic. I've had sit downs that went 2000 hrs and never got more than a set of tires, 2 belt changes, fluid, blade, and filter changes. I have not had a stander, Toro specifically that has been in the shop less than once a month all season. I have a love hate relationship with them. I would like to try a wright, but dealer support locally is poor. I am also interested in the new gravely models. I lost control of an original stander on a hill back in the 90's and dropped it 12' off a cliff, so I am weary of them already, but the grandstands sidehill great.
If I were mowing near a 12' cliff I want to be on something I can get off of quickly. Another point for stander in my book. We don't have cliffs here, but a lot of retention ponds that drop into gator and snake filled waters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing about being able to dive off when going over a cliff. Sounds better than riding a Z over the cliff.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
We ditched all our sit downs a few years ago. All the positive points have been made. I find that because the sales volume is not as high as other types that at least the ones we've had tend to be Moreno problematic. I've had sit downs that went 2000 hrs and never got more than a set of tires, 2 belt changes, fluid, blade, and filter changes. I have not had a stander, Toro specifically that has been in the shop less than once a month all season. I have a love hate relationship with them. I would like to try a wright, but dealer support locally is poor. I am also interested in the new gravely models. I lost control of an original stander on a hill back in the 90's and dropped it 12' off a cliff, so I am weary of them already, but the grandstands sidehill great.
I feel your pain about the grandstand. I have a love/hate feeling about it also. On one hand it is very comfortable, agile and productive. On the other side I have never owned a mower that have had so many problems. I actually have the parts diagram for the mower bookmarked on my smart phone. This past summer these are some of items that needed replaced.
1. Balljoints 4X
2. Coil
3. Deck lever broke completely in half
4. Tires

Toro company in general has been of no help. The dealer I work with feels bad about it and does let me order parts online and he will repair it without the markup on the part. I looked into the new gravely stander. There is a small gravely dealer down the road and they let me ride one around their parking lot the other day. Very stout machine, I was impressed. It seemed a tad bit longer than the grandstand which was the only thing I did not like. I would like to look into a wright because they seem to be the most compact of all standers but there are no dealers close by. I did demo a vantage last year and it seemed to be a much more polished and refined than the grandstand. The tracking and speed were much better. It is a viable option if I choose to ditch the grandstand. Tough call my unit only has 500 hours and I like it but the downtime and maintenance costs are killing me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I feel your pain about the grandstand. I have a love/hate feeling about it also. On one hand it is very comfortable, agile and productive. On the other side I have never owned a mower that have had so many problems. I actually have the parts diagram for the mower bookmarked on my smart phone. This past summer these are some of items that needed replaced.
1. Balljoints 4X
2. Coil
3. Deck lever broke completely in half
4. Tires

Toro company in general has been of no help. The dealer I work with feels bad about it and does let me order parts online and he will repair it without the markup on the part. I looked into the new gravely stander. There is a small gravely dealer down the road and they let me ride one around their parking lot the other day. Very stout machine, I was impressed. It seemed a tad bit longer than the grandstand which was the only thing I did not like. I would like to look into a wright because they seem to be the most compact of all standers but there are no dealers close by. I did demo a vantage last year and it seemed to be a much more polished and refined than the grandstand. The tracking and speed were much better. It is a viable option if I choose to ditch the grandstand. Tough call my unit only has 500 hours and I like it but the downtime and maintenance costs are killing me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Note to self: Do not ever even think about buying a toro grandstand. Like ever! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Note to self: Do not ever even think about buying a toro grandstand. Like ever! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny but true. The later year grandstands I feel are decent. The 09 seemed to be the most problematic according to my dealer. I cannot possibly buy another one after the problems I have had with this one. The dealer did offer me a discount on a new one and to take mine in on consignment. That is not good enough as I would still own it until it sells. Even if he took it in on trade I dont see any circumstances in the proper state of mind where I would purchase a grandstand ever again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
I haven't heard much bad about the stand ons. Is there anything that should make me shy away from going out to pick up 6 of them?
I gust bought 2 Scag V-Rides and love them. Probably will buy one more. Another company in my area just bought 12 Scag V- rides.