Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What to do to flush my hydro oil

My wheel motor went out, not from contaminates or anything, the shaft simply broke. So thankfully in this case replacing the pump is not needed. However if I do not get the system clean it will be necessary.

So here is my question. how do i get all the oil out and get the system clean.

I had to remove the wheel motor to move the mower, since then its been sitting. but its been sitting with the two hoses disconnected. I will start by removing the hoses and pouring new oil threw them. after this is done and I replace the old motor, how do i flush the whole system and replace all of the oil? I could remove the hoses and run the system but that will not get the oil out of the motor.

thanks for the help
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did it break internally? If there is not metal contamination on the inside of the old motor you should be fine. If there is already contamination the pump is probably ruined already anyway.

There is no way to flush the system. There is a setup that you can hookup in one of the high pressure lines with a high pressure filter and run the pump in a certain direction and it will filter all the oil on the high pressure side of the system. The kit to do this is very expensive and most dealers probably dont even have one and most of the manufacturers dont recommend for us to buy it...

The only way to flush it would be to remove the pump, disassemble the pump getting all the oil out. Flush the lines and put it all back together.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contamination as far as shavings in the oil do you mean
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Contamination as far as shavings in the oil do you mean
Yes, did something break inside the motor or did the shaft break off on the outside? Just wondering why you want to flush the pump. If stuff got in it, its probably already wrecked. If not, then leave it alone.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Were the dampeners bad or weak?

Bad dampeners will allow the operator to "spike" a wheel motor.

Oldtimer
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Were the dampeners bad or weak?

Bad dampeners will allow the operator to "spike" a wheel motor.

Oldtimer
I do not know what dampeners are. the hydraulic lookin things that stiffen the handles?

what is "spiking" a wheel motor?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Yes, did something break inside the motor or did the shaft break off on the outside? Just wondering why you want to flush the pump. If stuff got in it, its probably already wrecked. If not, then leave it alone.
The shaft inside the wheel motor had been squeaking. finally it shattered. i got MOST of the pieces. All i can do is hope the pieces that i could not find did not get sucked up into the system. as far as shavings, there are none.

I dont know that flushing the system will remove the shards if they exist in the system. The hoses do have some dirt in the ends of them, ill be removing them and pouring oil through to clean them. This dirt should not have been able to make it all the way up into the system. mostly the mower has sat. only moved it enough to push across the lawn up the trailer then into my shed. last year.

Mostly i figure its a good idea to flush it. most of the oil is out of it. It has over 900 hours. seems like it would be good for maintenance to flush it for some fresh oil.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me understand this. The wheel motor shaft broke inside the hsg and you feel there's no debris?
The wheel motor displaces over 90% of the oil the pump supplies it. It goes in and it comes out back to the pump. So tell me, how is it possible nothing got into the pump? Reason being, I've never seen that happen.
Flushing won't help. Very, very rarely can you take shortcuts on hydro work. Suction and return hoses, oil tank, filter head and pump should come out and be flushed. Cross contamination usually does not occur.
Depends on the system, since there isn't even a brand posted. Don't and won't get into a debate over it. Do what ever you feel is needed.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Let me understand this. The wheel motor shaft broke inside the hsg and you feel there's no debris?
The wheel motor displaces over 90% of the oil the pump supplies it. It goes in and it comes out back to the pump. So tell me, how is it possible nothing got into the pump? Reason being, I've never seen that happen.
Flushing won't help. Very, very rarely can you take shortcuts on hydro work. Suction and return hoses, oil tank, filter head and pump should come out and be flushed. Cross contamination usually does not occur.
Depends on the system, since there isn't even a brand posted. Don't and won't get into a debate over it. Do what ever you feel is needed.
Its more what i can afford than what is needed. i just got the hoses off. there were a handful of very small granules of something on the other end. so as i mentioned above, i would like to flush the system and get it as clean as i can. frankly its possible that there is parts of the old shaft in the pump. i dont know.wont really know till it goes out. hopefully it doesn't happen.

In either case. there is some old oil in the system. replacing old oil with good oil, especially while doing repairs already, is just good maintenance.

but i would like some advice on how to actually flush the system?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Understand one thing - you will wipe your pump out. There is no way to flush the debris effectively out of the pump. It has to be disassembled. You want to power flush the system? Locate the return hose. Fab up a hose extension for it on place it in a container. Start the engine and add oil to oil tank as needed. Keep the level up high to avoid possible aeration The clean oil will go through the system and empty into the container. Wheels shold be up and turning. Do it as long as you see fit. WHAT DO YOU OWN??????? 2-3 qt system (older Toro/Exmark) should require 2 gallons to flush. I've done this to change nasty old neglected oil, but never to clean a system, because it's not very effective. Good luck