Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

expanding SEO to surrounding cities.

so i have a website, and i'm getting first page results for lawn care for the city I operate in. However, I want to focus more on the next city over from me as well, so lets say I get a web address lawncare<city name>.com and design a site, optimize it with keywords for that city and my services. whats the next step in helping it show up on search engine results? If my business is already listed all over linked to my current site, how do I list the 2nd one? (if that makes sense) I've seen other companies do this alot, and even small companies that go with lawncare<city name>.com as the web address with very few citations (according to getlisted.org), just a good built site, and mabee a google+ page and still being found at the top. I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend staying with your current site, but building out sub-pages that specifically target those other city names. Page file name, TITLE tags, H tags, content, all shaped to target that city. If your current site is ranking well, it will help you jump-start your localized pages as Google is already well aware of your existence.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I second that recommendation. Build the page out with as much content as possible. Treat it as a homepage for that area. In fact, it may need more content that your actual homepage in order to rank well quickly.

If you can then find a couple links from pages that are specific to the city you are targeting- great. Even if you can't find any hyper-local links, do some general link building to the page.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i'll do then. makes more sense. I got this domain that is an Exact match domain, thought i might put a site there too and see what happens in a year. has google cracked down on these types of domains yet? i hear this is so, but then i see sites with EMD domains still at top.. so not sure. I wish i wouldn't have bought the domain now. lol. oh well, thats what i get.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just wanted to point out if you google lawn care marietta ga you will find 3 exact match domains.. thats why i thought it was a good idea.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, Google dropped the hammer on EMDs but, if you have good content and it supports the weight of the domain name, there isn't a problem. If you were to go that route, I would probably make sure I have a legitimate business address there to help the cause (ie, not a UPS Store or PO Box address).

To me, the amount of effort to launch a parallel site with the sole intent of targeting an adjoining city usually creates significantly more effort that what Headz and I are recommending. And, really, who wants to work that hard? lol

For an applicable example of targeting other cities via targeted pages, just search "lawn care service whatever city". Actually...lol...just look at your own example of "lawn care marietta ga" and the 2nd result's link name and result content. You'll see that time and again for any city. Now follow that link and break down the page via a view source or with your favorite SEO plugin. You'll see the ideas we gave you in practice.

--------------------------

Page Link Name:
lawn-care-marietta-ga-georgia.htm

TITLE tag:
Marietta Lawn Care, Marietta GA Lawn Care Marietta GA

H1 tag:
Marietta Lawn Care Services by Lawn Doctor.

Content:
With experienced local lawn care professionals, Lawn Doctor has several Marietta Lawn Care locations to provide you with expert local lawn care services in Marietta.

Providing Marietta lawn care services, tree and shrub care and pest control, our lawn care Marietta experts help create a yard that's not only picture perfect but healthy and prosperous. And our Marietta lawn care services are an investment that keeps you prosperous too, raising your property value during a critical economic period.

Now, rinse and repeat...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i did notice lawn doctor doing that. just about every city i looked up around here and even in florida they are on the first page with sub page, so I see your point.

the only reason i am gonna build sites for the other domains as well is because i purchased 2 domains. 10 bucks a pop for the year. so not out a whole lot of money.. still a bad impulse buy. lol. I already am setup for unlimited hosting on godaddy with the deluxe hosting so that won't cost me any extra money in to put sites up. just more time, but i'm not terribly busy yet unfortunately. If it helps, then good i'll renew them next year.. if not... then i'm out 20 bucks.

is it gonna be a problem if i use the same address on the other sites as i am for my current? I guess i never thought of that. I'm gonna focus on sub pages for my current site before i do anything else, as this seems more logical.

thanks again for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Yes, Google dropped the hammer on EMDs but, if you have good content and it supports the weight of the domain name, there isn't a problem. If you were to go that route, I would probably make sure I have a legitimate business address there to help the cause (ie, not a UPS Store or PO Box address).

To me, the amount of effort to launch a parallel site with the sole intent of targeting an adjoining city usually creates significantly more effort that what Headz and I are recommending. And, really, who wants to work that hard? lol

For an applicable example of targeting other cities via targeted pages, just search "lawn care service whatever city". Actually...lol...just look at your own example of "lawn care marietta ga" and the 2nd result's link name and result content. You'll see that time and again for any city. Now follow that link and break down the page via a view source or with your favorite SEO plugin. You'll see the ideas we gave you in practice.

Page Link Name:
lawn-care-marietta-ga-georgia.htm

TITLE tag:
Marietta Lawn Care, Marietta GA Lawn Care Marietta GA

H1 tag:
Marietta Lawn Care Services by Lawn Doctor.

Content:
With experienced local lawn care professionals, Lawn Doctor has several Marietta Lawn Care locations to provide you with expert local lawn care services in Marietta.

Providing Marietta lawn care services, tree and shrub care and pest control, our lawn care Marietta experts help create a yard that's not only picture perfect but healthy and prosperous. And our Marietta lawn care services are an investment that keeps you prosperous too, raising your property value during a critical economic period.

Now, rinse and repeat...
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so here's a question: I have an active blog as part of my site. Is it better for me to have a PAGE saying, for example, "Fairfax Landscape Design" versus a blog POST with the same title and topic? Because what I've done in the past is a blog post about a recently completed project and titled it for keywords relevant to location. To also do that with a page, well, there's only so many ways to talk about a patio.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also have an active blog. I have used it to crack the SERPs for suburbs of my main city. To be successful the post has to be more than just a project spotlight. It needs to be meaty- at least 500 words. The more content the better. You have to convince Google that its not just a regurgitation of info you already have on your site. Make sure it has contact info, or even a contact form.

The idea is for this page or post to be a home page for that particular area. Someone from that city should be able to land there, find out who you are, what you do, and how to contact you. It's great if they visit the whole site- but they shouldn't need to.

Once you have the page or post make sure you link to it from some of your other pages. For example, you may a service area page or a list of areas on your about page. When you mention the city you are targeting link to the page. Make sense?

Google "lake oswego landscaper" and you should find my blog post that serves as my landing page for that suburb. Maybe it helps to see it in action?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by headz77; 03-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks headz. I totally get that - I have a couple of blog posts that have actually worked well for that. Just didn't know if there was an advantage to doing that but as a page (as in about, home, etc pages) vs a blog post. I know Google loooves blogs but wasn't sure if pages were indexed differently or what have you