Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what are the best methods to....

1. Install underground wiring, especially over long distances, during system update/modification

2. backfill swing jointed heads

3. prevent flooding when a head breaks, especially in those areas that are not often visited/noticed

4. keep renters from turning off / unplugging controllers so that they save on water bill, yet starve the off-site-property-owners' yard.

I have alot of questions, tell me if you want / dont-mind more...
thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's pretty hard to stop a renter from shutting down a system. If not by way of the controller, the backflow preventer has its isolation valves.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It's pretty hard to stop a renter from shutting down a system. If not by way of the controller, the backflow preventer has its isolation valves.
that is true....

im glad you mentioned this boots, because it reminded me of a question i have been meaning to ask for a long time now, for my own shutting the system off when needed:

I imagine this case is somewhat specific to my area, which is a majority area renter occupied homes (not all, but many non-caring college students), where the owner often lives hours away by car.

Suppose there is a case where the system needs to be turned off because of needed repairs, broken pipe, broken head, etc. .. at an unaccessable controller (inside a garage). Suppose the tennent cannot be reached, or even can be reached but might tend to be forgetful in turning off the system.

Finally the question, is it okay to turn off the manual isolation valves to prevent further flooding etc. (while of course leaving the unaccessable controler still in the auto position).

Will this damage the dry solenoids?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
1. Install underground wiring, especially over long distances, during system update/modification

2. backfill swing jointed heads

3. prevent flooding when a head breaks, especially in those areas that are not often visited/noticed

4. keep renters from turning off / unplugging controllers so that they save on water bill, yet starve the off-site-property-owners' yard.

thanks
1. Vib. plow, if possible, either knowing or locating as much of the existing utilities & underground sprinkler lines as possible - experience
2. Handle end of your D-handle spade, and pack it in.
3. Different types of heads, RB, and others make them with shut off or minimal flow when broken.
4. Locking cabinets, power hardwired to controller.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I cannot think of a way to prevent an irrigation system from being shut off by a renter.

Even with locking enclosures for water and controllers, the main breaker panel would have to remain accessible for emergency dis/re-connection.

The main panel is the Achillies heel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dry solenoids are capable of overheating and failing, but it doesn't happen to every dry solenoid, even if activated for months or years.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Dry solenoids are capable of overheating and failing, but it doesn't happen to every dry solenoid, even if activated for months or years.
That's true, I was taught that a dry one would fry, but never proved it over the years.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

learning the tricks of the trade, that would be taboo in my area from other installers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
1. Install underground wiring, especially over long distances, during system update/modification vibrating plow with wire reel attachment

2. backfill swing jointed heads I use a big rubber malet, can use both ends

3. prevent flooding when a head breaks, especially in those areas that are not often visited/noticed I20's for rotors, toro has xeri sprinklers for fan sprays

4. keep renters from turning off / unplugging controllers so that they save on water bill, yet starve the off-site-property-owners' yard. ?

thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have been told/read that you should never activate a solenoid with the plunger removed.

Must be an Ohm's Law thing?.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Just don't try that with the coil slipped off the post on a Superior or Champion valve. It melts to the point it becomes misshapen and won't fit on the post anymore.