Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont know about you guys on the east coast but if I buy something in a surrounding state there is no sales tax and in my home state there is no recourse. There is no national internet sales tax, although give this current Admin time they will tax it. Some states have a internet sales tax but its rates and rules of reporting vary.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering, do you get mad when you are at the grocery and the price on the shelf is $.99 and when you check out it's a $1.06?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Just referring to your buying a car out of state. People will drive down south to get a good used car. So you would have no chose but to pay sales tax to the county it will be registered in.
well i'd never buy a vehicle out of my own city and state either.

but yes i see what your saying.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Lawn View Post
Dont know about you guys on the east coast but if I buy something in a surrounding state there is no sales tax and in my home state there is no recourse. .....
Just a quick check on Missouri sales tax requirements:

===============

Missouri cannot require out-of-state companies that do not have nexus or a "direct connection" with the state to collect and remit use tax. If an out-of -state seller does not collect use tax from the purchaser, the purchaser is responsible for remitting the use tax to Missouri.

A seller not engaged in business is not required to collect Missouri tax but the purchaser in these instances is responsible for remitting use tax to Missouri. A purchaser is required to file a use tax return if the cumulative purchases subject to use tax exceed two thousand dollars in a calendar year.

====================

The rules are very clear that paying the sales tax on out of state purchases is your responsibility.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rodger,
That is an update to what I have learned from past reading from the MO DOR website. Thanks

I do have a question to that, does that mean if I purchase $2k or more in used mowers in MO im required to file a use tax?
That is almost saying that if I purchase $2k or more in garage sales that I am to file one as well.
This whole tax, in state, out of state, internet local sales tax, use tax and farm exception form stuff is getting nuts.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is only the beginning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regardless of where you buy a vehicle, You pay sales tax when registering it in Missouri.

I'm not a big fan of this. The state can make a ton off of one vehicle if it is bought and sold a few times.

The counties also make alot off of personal property taxes on vehicles.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jackl,
I knew that about vehicles but mowers. Stupid. I lived in Florida for years and when I got up here it took about 2 weeks to get everything. Birth Certificate, Tax Exempt form, Inspection. Then I asked what is personal property tax, one they were offened and second they told me it was a tax on the value of my car that I had to pay every year. I said I paid tax on it when I bought and low registration tax(FL) when I renewed the tags. Now I have a my own business, pay tax on new stuff, repair parts, certain products and a yearly business tax to the state, county and city. They wonder why people hate the government(any level) and going to DMV and courthouse to pay taxes. Not only that they charge you a $1 to print your Tax paid receipt so you get registration for trucks and trailers. Now add in a form to pay tax on used equipment purchase, stupid.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I here ya. You're supposed to list everything used for your business on the personal property assesment list, every year, and they decide how much it's worth and how much tax you will pay on it.

I seriously doubt that many follow the rules and they would be hard to enforce.

I had an 89 pick up for over 20 years and paid around 12,000 tax on over the years I had it.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I here ya. You're supposed to list everything used for your business on the personal property assesment list, every year, and they decide how much it's worth and how much tax you will pay on it.

I seriously doubt that many follow the rules and they would be hard to enforce.

I had an 89 pick up for over 20 years and paid around 12,000 tax on over the years I had it.
I dont even want to begin that tally. I do claim everything on the form every year(I Think). I try yo follow the rules to the best of my ability. I have been visited by the KGB(IRS) before and that hurt(about $10 G). Now this year is property assesment year. I have made no upgrades to my home, I bet my PP tax goes up and the word on the street is business assests evals are going to be estimated on the high end.