Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone using oregon blade spindles?

I can buy 3 of these for the price of 1 exmark spindle. Unless they are complete junk it's a no brainer.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using oregon blade spindles?

Where did you find them?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Found several on ebay. Set of 3 for $130 I think. My locaol dealer wants $81 ea for the oregon and the exmark is $130 ea. Just tired of getting gouged by everyone when I buy something.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have used them with no problems on my Turf Tracer.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Can the bearings in the oregon be replaced or are thet a sealed unit? Grease fitting?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Can the bearings in the oregon be replaced or are thet a sealed unit? Grease fitting?
Then ones I got from Oregon for my Exmark had sealed bearings and no zerk. Yes the bearings can be replaced.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's good because they wont last long with the tiny bit of grease behind the seals. What's funnier is when they have a zerk and sealed bearing. You can pump it all you want and no grease is going to get by those seals. There is a reason why the factories use grease filled spindles. Grease lubricates, cools and allows contaminents to be forced out. They may last a while but no where near the factory original.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That's good because they wont last long with the tiny bit of grease behind the seals. What's funnier is when they have a zerk and sealed bearing. You can pump it all you want and no grease is going to get by those seals. There is a reason why the factories use grease filled spindles. Grease lubricates, cools and allows contaminents to be forced out. They may last a while but no where near the factory original.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I got cutter housings for my Exmark from my dealer they were the same, sealed bearings and a little packet of "lube" for the shaft.

I had 3 cutter housing laying around from some years back so this last time I ordered just bearings. While replacing the bearings I completely packed the housing with grease. Even though the bearings are sealed I figured the with the housing packed it would at least keep moisture out and possibly keep them somewhat cooler.

One of the techs at the Exmark dealer said I could drill and tap the housings for zerks and then remove the top seal on the bottom bearing and the bottom seal of the top bearing and would be able to grease them. I didn't because I figured with I'd just blow out the remaining seals when the cavity was full because the grease has got to go somewhere.

Being able to grease the spindles was one of the things I liked about our new Dixie Chopper Classic. Since I haven't had to take the spindles apart yet I'm assuming they aren't sealed bearings?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't even buy OEM Exmark spindles anymore locally. The local dealer doesn't carry any oem parts anymore. Belts are Rotary as are oil and hydro filters. The spindles they sell are Oregon. Funny thing is they still charge OEM prices.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DC and Scag have the best spindle design in the industry IMO. Your right about the seals on sealed bearings. They aren't really designed to have any pressure from the back side. That is strange about Exmark. Any spindle can usually be rebuilt with just bearings,seals, a press and some skill. Its rare when a spindle is too shot to reuse unless its bent. I've rebuilt some of my DC's half a dozen times over the years. I've got a shelf of rebuilts for DC, Wright, Scag, Encore and Toro. One of my winter chores.
Posted via Mobile Device