Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using Groupon for link building.

Forget whether a Groupon is a good decision for a company, that's really another discussion.

I found this article about using a Groupon for link building some might find interesting.

http://www.localseoguide.com/forget-...-do-a-groupon/
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The key thing is that unless you are a great haggler, you have to ask youself is it worth the cost. Say each of those groupon deals were for 500 deals.

The normal method of Groupon is, you offer a deal that is usually 50% off, and then groupon takes 50% of what is left. In the example in the article of doing 3 groupons, if each were 500 deals, that is basically SPENDING 75% of what you would make on 1500 sales. (Granted many sales would come faster than normal methods). So you would have to figure out how much you would be "spending" and compare it to other methods.

-Greg
Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think this could make sense for a new company looking to really jump start their online presence. The links you get will likely be fairly low quality, but very quickly indexed, since the info is perishable.

But, as Greg said, you would have to count the cost and structure the deal to do as little damage as possible
Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another thing to watch out for with the high-ranking sites, such as Groupon, LivingSocial, etc is getting your site to rank above any legacy deals. If you don't have other inbound links, or your site's own value to prop you up, is this diminishing the overall value of the elusive, killer link? Sometimes that's not really a bad thing but, say you ran a deal a year ago, and that Groupon page is still ranking, does that provide value or harm. Does this open the door, via precedent-setting, for customers to wait for you to do another deal before pursuing your services?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
The key thing is that unless you are a great haggler, you have to ask youself is it worth the cost. Say each of those groupon deals were for 500 deals.

The normal method of Groupon is, you offer a deal that is usually 50% off, and then groupon takes 50% of what is left. In the example in the article of doing 3 groupons, if each were 500 deals, that is basically SPENDING 75% of what you would make on 1500 sales. (Granted many sales would come faster than normal methods). So you would have to figure out how much you would be "spending" and compare it to other methods.

-Greg
Like I said, that aspect is really for another thread, in fact there's a few of them already. But since you touched on it I will give my input.

Let me preface this by saying Groupon is not for everybody, but I've found it a great way to create new business when I have time in my schedule to fill.

A few key things I've found to make it work are...

-Only offer a recurring service. You want to offer something like mowing that needs to be done frequently.

-Set the price point a little higher to weed out the less than desirables. My biggest gains were made off the offers for several weeks of lawn service.

-Set your cap low(maximum sold). Don't put yourself in a position to where you can't handle the work.

-Be personable, do a bang-up job, and if they can't afford you, make them wish they could. I've had a lot of calls from friends of the Grouponers.

You do put in a lot to make it work, but I'd rather be out working and making a presence in the community than sitting at home...that's just me.

Back to the SEO angle...In the past years I only had a facebook page, so I'm interested to see what kind of a bump my web page will get.