Register free!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

More or Less?

Hello. My question isn't "how much would you charge?" Rather , lets say you have a yard you mow for $35,$45, $55 or whatever, when you do a fert. app. would you charge more or less than the mowing fee for said yard? Walk behind granular spreader. I would like to add this service. I would think you charge more because of the fertilizer and the time involved. I'm not sure though how it's typically done. Thank you
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLawncare View Post
Hello. My question isn't "how much would you charge?" Rather , lets say you have a yard you mow for $35,$45, $55 or whatever, when you do a fert. app. would you charge more or less than the mowing fee for said yard? Walk behind granular spreader. I would like to add this service. I would think you charge more because of the fertilizer and the time involved. I'm not sure though how it's typically done. Thank you
As far as the mowing rate I would think it would be less since there is no equipment expense and you aren't doing any trimming. Thats if you are pushing a spreader. Any yard I fert I can get done faster than I can mowing and trimming.

Some like to use the cost of the materials as the cost of labor and some just know what their hourly rate is then charge that plus the cost of materials.

Some have a sq ft cost so they can charge by the size of the yard. This is probably the best way because you are appyling the nutrients at the sq ft rate.

The only time I have heard of a mow rate converting over to another job is aerating which is 2-3 times the mowing rate. I find that acceptable.

The mowing rate had to come from some type of calculated rate so I wouldn't rule it out completely.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Using a proper Lesco spreader your fertilizing rates shouldn't take much longer than 1 minute per thousand square feet. That's at an G-H setting for the older models and 13-14 for the newer models.

Factor in how much the fertilizer costs in your area, and you're good to go.

But if you're already there, and you're not providing weed control, people aren't going to expect to pay much for it.

www.thefriendlygreen.ca
Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for your responses guys. It was helpful. Sorry for the slow response back.