Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He may or may not have. It's hard to tell a tone of voice or emotion from words on a screen. I try to come on this forum to ask questions, bring information to the table, ideas and solutions, for the benefit of our industry and each other. It's not to brag, or show off, or be rude. The way it was worded, it very easily could have been taken in a negative way, which I have no patience for. You know, I don't post here for my health, or for the fun of it. I have plenty of others things to occupy my time in this world. With that being said, we landscapers don't have a huge selection of 21" mowers to choice from on the commercial level. I have spent numerous hours researching 21" mowers and it comes down to snapper, toro, Honda and exmark. if I'm not mistaken, the Honda, toro and exmark have plastic wheels. I don't know about snapper. everyone here lives in different regions and has different options where they live. For me, I have exmark or Honda, that's about it. With Honda, I could have got a 600 dollar somewhat commercial mower from homedepot or spent 1250.00 on the commercial one. I just so happen to own all exmark equipment so why not keep the trend going when it's time to add a 21". The Honda and exmark both have plastic wheels. I more concerned with the design, performance, motor, deck, drivetrain. I'm not to concerned with the material of the wheels. and as far as going up and down stairs, it's not like you just push if off the top stair and let it go bouncing down to the bottom. We try to take care of our stuff, one guy can get the front and the other get the back, and they carry it up and down the steps. Besides that was only an example of when you would need a 21". After all, this post was originally about the need of a 21" or 36" mower, not the durability of different types of mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My thought on commercial vs home owner is when you are just starting up a new business using a 21" and use it only to get the tight spots. The hours will add up slow.

1 hour a week to mow a half acre. Use that HO mower 60 minutes a week for the season for tight spots is the same using a HO mower to mow one lawn a week.

That HO mower is going to last for a long time.

Now there are guys that do small city lots where they use a 21" 8 hours a day so the hours will add up fast. Then the money for a commercial can be well spent.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

that is very true. I like the fact that the commercial ones are built stronger.I think it takes a told on any equipment that is out in the elements and gets pulled on and off a truck alot even if its not being used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

relax...it was a legitimate request, not a dig. I clearly stated that we had long left 21s behind and the last time I bought one, honda had the legendary pain in the ass metal wheels with next to impossible to change rubber treads. However, even then, they did always manage to get bent by a rider walking on a trailer or careless crew loads.

When Exmark introduced their 21, I was not and am still not, a fan of that unprotected front axle (I've never seen a 21 of any kind not bashed up in the front from commercial use) and was definitely not interested in plastic wheels (nor honda's switch to them).

With the 60 minutes per week idea, the point of my original post rings true. Would you rather have a machine that can get full use (and payback) each day or have a $1000 sitting on your trailer for occasional use? That's the question you'll have to ask yourself the next time the situation presents itself.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

My exmark 21 X series has rubber wheels is that odd or did they switch back to rubber
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have a 21" i only use it on one property for about 15min. everything else i use the ztr only.

i don't have any use for a walkbehind in the 32"-48" range. no small gates here with large back yards. if they have a small gate the backyard is tiny and can be cut with a 21" mower.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro and Exmark now have the 30" commercial walk behinds. We are looking at picking up one and will post result and opinions later. Does anyone else have any reports or feedback on the 30"? $1800 is better than the $4000 I paid for the 36" Trimstar.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran a 48" Scag and a 36" Exmark and did mostly residential lawns. The set up worked great. The 48" could be used on the larger lawns and the yards with gates I could fit the 36" in. I could cut some down to half the time since I did not have to use a push mower. If you do a lot of residentials I would not hesitate to buy one.