Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vride goes in for service comes out w no oil!

So I took the vride in for a full service a week ago and shame on me for "trusting" that it was just serviced and there was no need to do the religious oil check before each mow. Wrong! When I took it in the dumb "smart sensor" was flashing that the oil needed changing, so when I picked it up after service and it was still flashing, I just figured it was a dummy light. I mowed at least 4 hours worth and decided to check the oil and it was bone dry. Holy crap. I could have burned up a Kawi 26 with only 120 hours on it, but somehow it didn't. Then I started panicking thinking that the motor was using oil, very badly if it was gone in a few hours o mowing. So, I filled it up nd mowed 2.5 hours yesterday and it didn't use a bit of the oil. The question now is did the mechanic at the dealer or get to add oil? Did h just not add enough oil? It had to have at least some oil in it for it not to lock up on me.

I'm going to call the dealer Monday and explain. I should also mention that when I picked it up they had not installed the new blades that I had requested and I had to ask them to do it before I left. Should I be worried about interior motor damage like cylinder scoring? It's still under warranty but it is running fine now. What would you do? Other than find another dealer in the future!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First, go get some lottery tickets cause you are one lucky guy. The shop will most like lt blow it off now that you added oil and no apparent harm was done. Lesson learned, don't trust anybody. Probably just inattention from the mechanic. You could have ended up being out a mower while they replace the engine. Be firm and see what you can get from them. Free service, blades, anything.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks patriot. It's also important to note that the flashing oil light went off after I added oil. Thus, further evidence that it was empty when I picked her up.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Situations like that are why I'm in favor of low oil shutdown sensors on all engines.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well not sure what can be done now. I have found out years ago that if you have oil changed that no dealer does as good as you can. Greese zerks will be missed and you name it. If for some reason I have the oil changed on trucks, I take it to a place that will show you all the fluids afterwards. So I guess lesson is to check the oil before it leaves the service area. Local guy sent new JD to p and k to have service. In 15 hours went to clean air filter it was gone, no filter at all,, charged for new filter!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me add that he loaded the ZTR up and went to the dealer. No filter in stock,, they walked out to new mower to take a filter out, it was without a filter also! He is in a battle to have the motor replaced.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt even have put oil in it. Should have brought it right back to dealer empty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya kajun but it was on the weekend and I had a lot of work to finish that my 36 would've taken forever. I usually do service myself like I just did on my 36 Viking, but I just bought the Vride from a guy in Georgia and wanted to get it checked out and a once over was in order. The end result is I have less peace of mind after the dealer touched it. I will be doing everything myself going forward. Thankfully, there are 2 other scag dealers nearby that I can use or future parts, etc.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Side question: could a motor use a full pan of oil in just a few hours of use with no visible smoking etc? I wouldn't think so.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
Side question: could a motor use a full pan of oil in just a few hours of use with no visible smoking etc? I wouldn't think so.
Not likely. You already ruled that out when you refilled and mowed again. I'm really surprised no damage was done.

What kind of oil did you have in it? Synthetic or dino? This is one one of those scenarios where I feel synthetics can save save an engine since they will take far more heat before breakdown occurs. But, others on here will argue that point to their graves.