Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Patriot Services;4700951]Not likely. You already ruled that out when you refilled and mowed again. I'm really surprised no damage was done.

What kind of oil did you have in it? Synthetic or dino? This is one one of those scenarios where I feel synthetics can save save an engine since they will take far more heat before breakdown occurs. But, others on here will argue that point to their graves.[/

I use sae 30 Honda oil. Ran synthetic in my exmark, but just regular in this Vride. I don't know what they used or didn't in this case. It did have a small amount of oil in it. When you screwed down the dipstick, it showed a tiny bit on the stick, but to me this is dry. It was below the add oil mark.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=MTenterprises;4700957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not likely. You already ruled that out when you refilled and mowed again. I'm really surprised no damage was done.

What kind of oil did you have in it? Synthetic or dino? This is one one of those scenarios where I feel synthetics can save save an engine since they will take far more heat before breakdown occurs. But, others on here will argue that point to their graves.[/

I use sae 30 Honda oil. Ran synthetic in my exmark, but just regular in this Vride. I don't know what they used or didn't in this case. It did have a small amount of oil in it. When you screwed down the dipstick, it showed a tiny bit on the stick, but to me this is dry. It was below the add oil mark.
So we don't know if it was drained and this is what was left or if it was underfilled. How much did you add to bring it up to correct level?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

First off the change engine oil flashing on the hr meter is just based off of hrs ran. It does not have anything to do with oil pressure. I believe it flashes 2 hrs before the preset hr and 2 hrs after the preset hr. You adding oil had nothing to do with that flashing.

Did you put a full 2 qts in the mower? Are you reading it a couple mins after shutting it off? Is the dipstick screwed in or just to the top?

Really interested in finding out the answers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
So I took the vride in for a full service a week ago and shame on me for "trusting" that it was just serviced and there was no need to do the religious oil check before each mow. Wrong! When I took it in the dumb "smart sensor" was flashing that the oil needed changing, so when I picked it up after service and it was still flashing, I just figured it was a dummy light. I mowed at least 4 hours worth and decided to check the oil and it was bone dry. Holy crap. I could have burned up a Kawi 26 with only 120 hours on it, but somehow it didn't. Then I started panicking thinking that the motor was using oil, very badly if it was gone in a few hours o mowing. So, I filled it up nd mowed 2.5 hours yesterday and it didn't use a bit of the oil. The question now is did the mechanic at the dealer or get to add oil? Did h just not add enough oil? It had to have at least some oil in it for it not to lock up on me.

I'm going to call the dealer Monday and explain. I should also mention that when I picked it up they had not installed the new blades that I had requested and I had to ask them to do it before I left. Should I be worried about interior motor damage like cylinder scoring? It's still under warranty but it is running fine now. What would you do? Other than find another dealer in the future!
Need to start getting into the habit of checking the oil on a daily basis,regardless who's performed a service or daily check IMO
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
Need to start getting into the habit of checking the oil on a daily basis,regardless who's performed a service or daily check IMO
This a good routine to get in. I do it every night out in the shop so I don't get in a hurry in the morning and not do it.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You should be good. If it was just barely touching the stick he mostly likely overlooked adding more oil after running it and filling the filter. Most likely no damage. Most engines will operate on 1/4 of the recommended amount of oil but we need more oil volume to keep it from breaking down to fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
You should be good. If it was just barely touching the stick he mostly likely overlooked adding more oil after running it and filling the filter. Most likely no damage. Most engines will operate on 1/4 of the recommended amount of oil but we need more oil volume to keep it from breaking down to fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good to know. Thanks. I think he probably under filled like you said Bc of compensating for what went into new filter. I'm just glad I didn't ruin a motor.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
I usually check oil before I crank ...every day and even mid day if I've run them a lot. I just got sloppy.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
First off the change engine oil flashing on the hr meter is just based off of hrs ran. It does not have anything to do with oil pressure. I believe it flashes 2 hrs before the preset hr and 2 hrs after the preset hr. You adding oil had nothing to do with that flashing.

Did you put a full 2 qts in the mower? Are you reading it a couple mins after shutting it off? Is the dipstick screwed in or just to the top?

Really interested in finding out the answers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I added approx 3/4 quart I think. The dipstick all the way screwed in was barely reading any oil. It read no oil with dipstick unscrewed, the way we normally check oil level. This was after it had been sitting over night, so it wasn't still settling. Hope I answered all of the questions. I will have to be more careful next time, but I normally check oil levels before I crank each and every time.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would still go back and fuss about the sloppy work and blade issue. That's pretty poor service work there. I'm not sure I would even call him a mechanic. That's a rookie mistake he made.
Posted via Mobile Device