Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Preparing bid for first HOA maintenance contract

Little background on myself and my situation to hopefully shed some light and get your feedback/help.

I am a golf course superintendent and have been running a small landscape business on the side for the last three years. Primarily residential fert programs, lawn renovations, irrigation systems and some hardscaping. I haven't been doing weekly maintenance, have another landscape outfit that I pass that off to when asked. I have an opportunity to bid on a new construction HOA condo complex being built right next to the golf course. I have enough equipment and staff to feel confident in bidding, but the bid sheet is requesting atleast (3) references of similar condominium properties. This being my first bid on a condo complex does that count me out? Or should I still place the bid void of the (3) references?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go For It

If You feel comfortable that your crew will be able to do an excellent job on the property than I say go for it. You won't get a second chance if you screw it up the first time. Quite often the first company with a new complex lasts a long time if they do a great job. You may have a few more headaches during the first couple years just make sure you are handling them quickly and correctly. Place emphasis on your experience in the grounds industry, your proximity to the community and your willingness to keep their complex in the same fashion your crews keep the golf course. Site your experience with chemicals and your education and license's. When filling out the reference section simply put call to discuss. You will need to be able to explain to them why yours is the right company for the complex. Always include a cover letter and don't just bid the spec. If you feel comfortable with it, ask for he opportunity to address the board if necessary. If you are working with the general contractor as well then make sure you are communicating with him too. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice Steve! Just the direction I was looking for.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What atlantic said. Focus on your strengths and attention to detail that is required at golf courses.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also agree with Atlantic. Approach your lack of experience/references in one area with your strengths (that they may not have considered) in another. It's unlikely that they were thinking in terms of the neighboring course's super when they were looking to weed out the incapable.

If you can do the job, overcome with your strengths and just approach the sale as what you're offering is superior to what they requested and you'll be fine.

Remember this. With any bid situation, the only guarantee is the 100% guarantee that if you don't bid, you won't get the work. Everything else is fluid and up for negotiation.

Tags
bid , bidding , condo , hoa , references