Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for VALUE in advertising: enclosed trailer vs truck painted

My current set up is a 1999 f250 diesel that is not lettered and has crappy green paint that pulls a 16' open trailer with 4' sides (no signage on it either). This year I started going things right and since all my equipment sits in the rain I thought first about an enclosed trailer with nice lettering. I am mostly a mow and go guy so hauling mulch should work in the bed of my truck. Lately I have been thinking it would be cheaper and starters to just get my old truck painted professionally and lettered and keep my open trailer. I'd like to do both but it'd cost too much. Which one will be the most bang for my buck? Thanks guys. Also I considered a wrap but they don't work well for flat black which is one of my company colors. Thanks again.
2008 Cub Cadet (junk) 33" WB
1999 F250 4x4 Diesel with 10 1/2 landscape bed
Kawi trimmers
Husquvarna blowers

3 man operation

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Putting money in a 1999 truck for looks might not be the best investment. What is your plan for replacement time period? A couple years?

The trailer if purchasing a quality one and having it the correct size (growth/future route size) could get you 10 years of service plus keep equipment repairs lower due to being out of the elements. Its also a rolling billboard. This money saved could go toward truck painting later or truck replacement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed trailer for sure!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks for the comments. My replacement period for my truck is a long ways off I'd definitely want another diesel so it would cost me a ton of money to buy a newer one. I try my hardest to pay cash for everything. I was leaning towards the enclosed trailer too but just wanted to be sure I was making the right decision.
2008 Cub Cadet (junk) 33" WB
1999 F250 4x4 Diesel with 10 1/2 landscape bed
Kawi trimmers
Husquvarna blowers

3 man operation

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMowed View Post
Hey guys thanks for the comments. My replacement period for my truck is a long ways off I'd definitely want another diesel so it would cost me a ton of money to buy a newer one. I try my hardest to pay cash for everything. I was leaning towards the enclosed trailer too but just wanted to be sure I was making the right decision.
On my trucks the boxes get beat from employees and plowing. Instead of fixing the dents/scratches I replace it with a flatbed. The flatbed holds up better and will look decent for a longer period of time. That way only the doors fenders really have a chance of getting dents. Reduces risk of repairs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to say enclosed trailer, and being farther south you should be able to find a good deal on a new trailer that direction

Chevy Trucks
Kubota tractors
PJ Trailers

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed trailer for sure, professional, lockable and great way to advertise. I recommend Wells Cargo Road Force. Great trailer's, well built, quality construction. I have 4 Pace american trailer's and they are all junk compared to the Wells. Torsion suspension is a must if hauling large mower's. Try not to cheap out on a new trailer. If to expensive, try financing it with Sheffield or some other trade finance company. I bought a lot of junk equipment when I first started and ended up replacing it all within a few years, trailer included(Pace 6x12 single axle from Home depot). Expect lettering to cost between $400 to $1000, dependent on your logo.