Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfco XT5 vs. Lawn Solutions/Toro

Hey-
New to the site. I have been on the fence between these two machines. I want o know if anyone has compared them and which one is better for smaller lawns with some small hills. I am going to buy one this week, I need to be pushed one way or another. Please give me your opinions!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just search the forums for info regarding the two machines. Like I said your not going to beat the parts dept. of Turfco. Other then routine maint I have not had to do anything to our XT5.

The other point is Lawn Solutions is no longer so have to take that into consideration. Bottom line you have to find the machine that works best for your operation. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the forums for three days. Gets a little overwhelming, but that is how I decided on these two. I demo'ed the Toro and it felt like it was gonna tip over when I got to a hill. I am hoping the XT5 is better on hills? Sometimes on small lawns I am forced to go sideways on the hill instead off up it. Does the XT5 do fine on hills? If so, I will be ordering one.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine's a champ on hills. That is, whenever I'm not glued to the Exmark 30" stand-on, which is rare by the way. Go for the XT5, was my first machine purchased last July.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by adam.neusbaum; 03-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Is the Exmark 30" working well for you? I haven't been able to find much info on user ratings in the field. Any problems? Any help would be appreciated, I hate spending $8000 on the unknown.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtine:) View Post
Is the Exmark 30" working well for you? I haven't been able to find much info on user ratings in the field. Any problems? Any help would be appreciated, I hate spending $8000 on the unknown.
Im pleased with mine as most are. Did 10 yards yesterday & only my left calf is sore from standing sideways & mostly on that leg. I'm double passing 'cause that's the best job. I do it all with the 30" first then go to the xt5 like weedeating. Is it always necessary? Not really but they love to see thoroughness for the money spent & besides, I like doing a great job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Adam, I will be needing to make a decision soon as the snow is melting in Huskerland.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say unless you are doing lawns where you absolutely can't get a 30" Exmark thru most areas just put your $3300 toward the stand-on. If you don't you'll pull up to each job thinking "Boy, that 30" would definitely make this yard easier". Trust me on this one. I get more turf tear out with the xt5 too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I do a lot of smaller lawns and backyards that have some steps. I would imagine getting a ride-on in a backyard like that would be a difficult process. Most lawns are 20' x 20'. Not sure a ride-on would do much for me. I rarely do lawns bigger than 20' x 40'.

If the XT5 handles good on hills, I am sold. I have been using two used bluebird for 5 years. If I can muscle those around for 400 lawns every spring, the XT5 sounds like a huge improvement.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I pulled the plug on the Turfco XT5. It finally got here and it's a funny story....

It was suppose to arrive via UPS Freight this morning. At 12:30 I called UPS and they said they don't deliver to my area. Then after 15 minutes, they said it had been delivered at 10:30 ???? Apparently not to me!!!! They sent it to the wrong address, wrong town, wrong zip, wrong street number even. Not sure how that happened. I asked UPS to call the company and have them not unpack the pallet, and the UPS guy gave me an attitude. He wasnt sure why that was his job. After spending 30 minutes going round and round, UPS was unwilling to tell me when and how they where going to pick it up and deliver it to the correct address. My wife had called the company(some type of laboratory) that had mistakenly received my aerator and they were real nice. They said if I came down, they would let me pick it up. Well, after a 45 minute drive, they help me load it with their folk lift.

I got home around 2 hours after I left and unpacked the XT5. Luckily, it went together in a few minutes and after reading a bit, I was out back aerating. It is amazing how much easier it is than the old style aerators. The thing is great on hills and turns really well. I am very happy with the 10 minute test drive. I had tried the toro/lawn solution machine and it felt like it was going to tip over on hills and also felt very bulky. The XT5 is well balanced and is a breeze to move. Loading it in the trailer was simple. I am going to look into some wheel locks to secure the aerator to the trailer bed. All in all, it seems like a HUGE difference. My back is gonna love it compared to the older machines.